math lecture tonight

Mark Phillips

Mar 26, 2015, 10:06:10 AM3/26/15
to ashevill...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everyone,

Here's the info for the math talk I mentioned at the meeting last night:

The Shape of Space

By Dr. Jeff Weeks, Middlebury College

Thursday, March 26, 2015, 7 p.m
UNC Asheville, Lipinsky Auditorium

Free and Open to the Public

When we look out on a clear night, the universe seems infinite.  Yet this infinity might be an illusion.  During the first half of the presentation, computer games will introduce the concept of a “multiconnected universe."  Interactive 3D graphics will then take the viewer on a tour of several possible shapes for space.  Finally, we'll see how recent satellite data provide tantalizing clues to the true shape of our universe.

The only prerequisites for this talk are curiosity and imagination. For middle school and high school students, undergraduates from UNCA and other area colleges, people interested in astronomy, and all members of the Asheville community.

https://math.unca.edu/2015-parsons-lecture

Lance Ball

Mar 26, 2015, 8:42:17 PM3/26/15
to ashevill...@googlegroups.com, mphi...@unca.edu
Hey Mark

Thanks for recommending this! I took my two middle school boys to it tonight. They both (and I) really enjoyed it.

Lance

Mark Locklear

Mar 27, 2015, 9:30:44 AM3/27/15
to ashevill...@googlegroups.com
+1 Mark. Myself and a colleague from AB Tech went. I would not have known about it unless you posted it. Thanks!

J. Mark Locklear
locklear.me
-Philippians 4:13

When I am working on a problem, I never think about beauty, but when I have finished, if the solution is not beautiful, I know it is wrong. -Buckminster Fuller