Universal plaque or conversation?

Julie Oltman

Nov 21, 2015, 7:50:53 AM11/21/15
to arisgames
How do I make a plaque or conversation available across all scenes? I want to allow a player to trigger a plaque or conversation at anytime via a QR code or decoder code no matter what scene they are currently in. Is this possible?

Julie Oltman

Nov 21, 2015, 7:53:39 AM11/21/15
to aris...@googlegroups.com
PS. I forgot to say "good morning" and "thank you!" 😃

Julie Oltman
Lehigh University

> On Nov 21, 2015, at 7:50 AM, Julie Oltman <jm...@lehigh.edu> wrote:
>
> How do I make a plaque or conversation available across all scenes? I want to allow a player to trigger a plaque or conversation at anytime via a QR code or decoder code no matter what scene they are currently in. Is this possible?
>
> --
> --
> You are part of the ARIS authoring discussion group.
> To post: email aris...@googlegroups.com

Charles Leffingwell

Nov 21, 2015, 1:27:06 PM11/21/15
to arisgames
I think of scenes as containers for triggers.  Plaques are available for any scene to be triggered , but you have to set the conditions.
I reuse plaques over many scenes often.   I have not explored the events yet.  I wonder if you could use events in conjunction with player variables in some way to make it easier.

Julie Oltman

Nov 22, 2015, 9:38:59 AM11/22/15
to arisgames
So, it sounds like the only way to make a plaque universally available is include it in every scene but not make it a requirement to switch scenes. Or, somehow use events...which I don't know much about either.

Christopher Holden

Nov 23, 2015, 11:07:59 AM11/23/15
to aris...@googlegroups.com
I would stay away from events for the moment. I would follow Charles' recommendation and add a trigger to each scene where the plaque is needed. If you really need it to act as an important key to a lock more than once, you could make duplicate plaques. You may also want to think about something he and I do a lot of which is to add a plaque as a tab to the player nav.

You are part of the ARIS authoring discussion group.
To post: email aris...@googlegroups.com

michae...@gmail.com

May 12, 2016, 3:49:27 PM5/12/16
to arisgames
Greetings!

I have two possibly related questions and have not found or discovered practical answers yet so I thought I would post to the crowd to accelerate my education. I hope to repay the kindness forward one day!

First, can anyone explain how "Set Scene" functions under Events? I cannot find documentation explaining this feature. I am wondering if it may help me solve the second and practical question that makes me curious and why I posted as a reply to this post string. My ARIS ignorance is being remedied one way or another every day I keep plugging away, so please forgive it in advance.

I am trying to create "portals" to/from scenes (between a main map and various sites where live the mini-games, successful completion to which unlock additional "trek" scenes that unlock on the main map (to be used as sort of portals to/from these as scenes). I suspect I have some kind of Lock issue, but what I am currently experiencing as I build this architecture is this: Once the user goes via conversation-locked-scene-change from the main map scene to the site (success), completes the mini game there (success), they earn an attribute (success) that is the requirement for unlocking a plaque (success) on the main map page and also changes their scene (success) back to the main map, from which they can access the new "trek" scene (success--but only one time, one way). Once they interact with that scene there is a "portal" (conversation triggering scene change) that takes them back to the main map scene. But from here I face two varieties of failure. One of two things have happened as I tweak. Either the ability to tunnel back to my trek scene is disabled (the plaque is there but no longer triggers the scene change--it appears to be a one-time trip) or I get tunneled all the way back to the butt end of the first site/scene that I successfully completed but stuck in a dead end without the ability to scene-change back to the main map. The latter has happened most recently.

Locks used:

Player has at least 1 Trek Attribute
unlocks Trek plaque.

Player has already viewed Trek plaque
unlocks scene change to Trek.

If this logic makes sense to anyone, can you spot my flaw and/or suggest a course of action?

I don't want the plaque/scene change combination (what I like to think of as a "portal") to be one-time, one-way. I want my user to be able to explore various scenes at their discretion, always able to connect back any of them through the starting scene I have dubbed the main map. I thought I set that up, but apparently not. If there were a way to flip off that the scene-change-triggering plaque has been viewed, then I feel that might solve the problem from a practical (if not elegant) standpoint? But my options under plaque Events do not seem to afford that. And I don't want to take away the attribute that enables the user to gain access to their unlocked trek--that would force them to go and play through an entire mini-game experience at their first site. And if I pin the lock to a particular conversation line, the issue again is that once the player has viewed it at any point in their experience, that Lock will remain unlocked. So is there a general rule of thumb about how to do this more elegantly?

Again, I'm still work-learning through this, but am ripe for suggestions.

Meantime I'm going to try to replace the View Plaque with a one-dimensional Conversation locking the Scene Change, but this seems to introduce twice as much clicking for the user as one might expect and I think I'll still have the viewed-conversation-line problem.

Cheers!

Christopher Holden

May 12, 2016, 4:17:40 PM5/12/16
to aris...@googlegroups.com
I will keep digging but I can think of one thing off the bat that might be causing your inability to return to the trek scene a second time: The bridge (trek->main) is being automatically and instantly crossed, since its lock is still satisfied, and the player does leave the main scene only to return. To fix it, you need to take away the success item (or other token) when the player returns to main. Another way around would be to not use "scene change" triggers. Instead, use a plaque that has a "set scene" event (or simply an event instead of a plaque) where the trigger is something the player has to manually do to hop back. That way locks only determine the availability of scene-hopping instead of automatically making it happen once available.

This also explains the basic nature of "set scene" events. You use them to send players to other scenes. And as you are seeing, they offer an advantage in certain game structures, namely the ability for a player to manually choose when to change scenes.

You are part of the ARIS authoring discussion group.
To post: email aris...@googlegroups.com

michae...@gmail.com

May 12, 2016, 4:30:55 PM5/12/16
to arisgames
Thanks again, Chris. Sounds like using Set Scene Events is exactly what I'm looking for. Let me take a hack at this and see if that solves my immediate problem. I will remind myself to post on success or failure in the next day or few.

Cheers!

michae...@gmail.com

May 13, 2016, 5:51:47 PM5/13/16
to arisgames, michae...@gmail.com
Yes. Tested today. Short answer is that arming plaques or conversation lines with Set Scene enables me to send the player to and from map scenes more easily than using the Change Scene trigger. Will continue to test and refine but I think this solves my immediate problem. Thanks again. I would have figured this out eventually, but you saved me time and frustration. Thanks!

Christopher Holden

May 13, 2016, 7:14:42 PM5/13/16
to aris...@googlegroups.com
Very glad to hear it. Best of luck as you move forward.