Automatic login for ARIS 2?

Julie Oltman

Nov 22, 2015, 5:21:06 PM11/22/15
to arisgames
Has the automatic login via QR code for an existing account been made functional for ARIS 2? Last year, I used the method described by Chris here: https://localgameslababq.wordpress.com/2013/10/22/automatic-login-for-your-aris-games/ and it was very helpful.

Julie Oltman

Nov 22, 2015, 5:36:42 PM11/22/15
to arisgames
Update,

It seems that the QR code login works for "throw-away" accounts (ie. 1,gametest,12680) but does not work for existing accounts (ie. change the 1 to a 0....).  Or am I missing something...?

David Gagnon

Nov 23, 2015, 3:12:19 PM11/23/15
to aris...@googlegroups.com
That’s true. We have revised the QR code login functions since that doc was written. It is primarily for creating temporary accounts.

David

--
David Gagnon
Director, Field Day Lab

On Nov 22, 2015, at 4:36 PM, Julie Oltman <jm...@lehigh.edu> wrote:

QR code login

julie....@gmail.com

Nov 24, 2015, 7:00:29 AM11/24/15
to arisgames
Understood. Can I add QR code login to an existing account to the "wish list"? 😃

My reason is that I am doing research with players in two classes over several days. The kids from each classroom are sharing the same set of iPads. So, in order to "save their progress" for the next day, each team needs to login with their same account each time they play. Or, is there another work-around I'm not thinking of?

Charles Leffingwell

Nov 24, 2015, 9:32:53 AM11/24/15
to arisgames, julie....@gmail.com
I have noticed one thing when using QR codes to login multiple times on the same iPad.
If you use the QR code with p1 in it ( 2,p1,gr,g13002,11 )  the code will bring up the same user that was logged in last time on the iPad.
You might be able to exploit this.
Clear the ARIS cache in settings.
Log in to ARIS account in the app using a username and password
Select public name and image from the 'logout screen'
Touch save
Log out
Now any game you scan via QR code that uses 'p1' in it will go directly to the game using that user account without having to select from the game list just by touching 'save'.
Some weird things happen though
I have not tested it thoroughly yet because we are relying on the anonymous login 'p0' setting for our project, which allows us to skip all of the login screens and go directly to the game.  Here is the QR version of the code above to test with if you like.

Julie Oltman

Nov 24, 2015, 10:08:30 AM11/24/15
to aris...@googlegroups.com
Hi Charles,

Thanks! My situation is a little bit different. I'll have two different players sharing the iPad to play at different times. I'd like each player to be able to log into their account to continue their play...after a different player has been playing on that same iPad...so it shouldn't be the same user who most recently logged in.  Make sense?

Also, can you break down the QR text string for me? I'm guessing....

2
p1 = existing player? p0 = new player?
gr
g13002 = game ID?
11

You are part of the ARIS authoring discussion group.
To post: email aris...@googlegroups.com

Charles Leffingwell

Nov 24, 2015, 10:43:23 AM11/24/15
to arisgames, julie....@gmail.com
I can relate what I know, but Phil is the expert on the details of what each part of the code means.

This is what Phil sent me for a spec back in June
2,p{auto_profile_enabled},gr{group_name},g{game_id},l{leave_game_enabled}
the {} and the stuff in between them needs to be replaced with their corresponding numbers. If any piece is left out, it will resort to default.

I think the following applies to the sections:
2 = version 2 of the QR start code function
p1 = not auto login p0 = auto login
gr = group name
g13002 = game ID
11 the first digit/flag (not sure what that means), second 1 ('leave game' enabled flag)

David Gagnon

Nov 24, 2015, 1:42:22 PM11/24/15
to aris...@googlegroups.com, julie....@gmail.com
I just posted this stuff up to the manual for future refrence:

Note that the p tag is used to pick if the user is forced to create a profile name/pic or to use nasty ARIS defaults.

David

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "arisgames" group.

David Gagnon

Nov 24, 2015, 1:44:19 PM11/24/15
to aris...@googlegroups.com
Totally makes sense. For now you will have to have them use their login name/password. Otherwise you would have needed to create QR codes for each player anyway. That would have been it’s own logistical issue.

David

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "arisgames" group.

Christopher Holden

Nov 24, 2015, 3:53:34 PM11/24/15
to aris...@googlegroups.com

Charles Leffingwell

Nov 25, 2015, 10:10:07 AM11/25/15
to arisgames, julie....@gmail.com
Thank you for adding that to the manual.  It will help me to understand and explain it to my co-workers and users.

By the way does the QR code method of getting into a game bypass the Publish/Private flag on the game?

David Gagnon