A Short Tour (ARIS Tutorial) and Quick Guide

Chris Holden

Feb 13, 2014, 4:34:38 PM2/13/14
to aris...@googlegroups.com
A Short Tour
Last week I ran a workshop remotely for a class at Portland State University hoping to learn a bit about ARIS with an eye to language learning. Before my workshop, this group took an ARIS based multi-lingual tour on their campus made by Steve Thorne and (some students – sorry, I’ve forgotten your names). Rather than have them build Thief, I thought it would be more appropriate to take them through the basics by making a simple tour.

If it’s useful for any of you, here is the script I wrote for that little tutorial.

ARIS Quick Guide
Something else that came up for that workshop is that while The Manual might have complete information about ARIS (maybe), it is a bit too intense to navigate for newcomers. I tried to make something like a day 0 manual, kind of like the min-manuals that come with digital cameras.

It doesn't get quite specific enough to have screenshots, but you may find this ARIS Quick Guide useful.

Heather Schneider

Mar 10, 2014, 10:31:25 AM3/10/14
to aris...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chris,

Thank you for sharing your ARIS Quick Guide!  I work in the Learning Department at Shedd Aquarium in Chicago and we will soon be hosting a workshop for teens to buid a game using ARIS.  We were having some challenges on how to setup character conversations to generate back and forth between the character and player.  Your guide provided a great step by step fix to our issue.

I am going to include your guide as a resource for our teens when they get started.  Thank you again for pulling this together.

Thank you,
Heather

Christopher Holden

Mar 10, 2014, 10:54:40 AM3/10/14
to aris...@googlegroups.com
Wow, thanks so much! Please feel free to do whatever you want with that material. If there are other specific issues you or others have along these lines, this would be a great place to ask for them. On my blog, I try to tag posts like that as "tutorial" so others can find them more easily. We also try to find helpful guides and post them at http://arisgames.org/make/training

I'm curious, what is the background for your workshops? How does ARIS fit in?

You are part of the ARIS authoring discussion group.
To post: email aris...@googlegroups.com

Bobbie Thibodeau

May 3, 2014, 7:47:00 AM5/3/14
to aris...@googlegroups.com