add custom text for decoder bad scan

Julie Oltman

Nov 20, 2015, 10:35:57 AM11/20/15
to arisgames
I don't think there's a way to do this currently in the new beta editor...but it would be really cool if we could customize the "bad scan" text for the decoder.  I think we were able to do this in the transitional editor...but I may have a faulty memory ;-)

Christopher Holden

Nov 23, 2015, 11:04:37 AM11/23/15
to aris...@googlegroups.com
There was something in there for a while. The only suggestion I have is to make more triggers for likely errors, and assign informational plaques where needed.

On Fri, Nov 20, 2015 at 8:35 AM, Julie Oltman <jm...@lehigh.edu> wrote:
I don't think there's a way to do this currently in the new beta editor...but it would be really cool if we could customize the "bad scan" text for the decoder.  I think we were able to do this in the transitional editor...but I may have a faulty memory ;-)

You are part of the ARIS authoring discussion group.
To post: email aris...@googlegroups.com

Julie Oltman

Nov 23, 2015, 11:15:27 AM11/23/15
to aris...@googlegroups.com
Ah, good work around idea. Thanks!

Julie Oltman
Lehigh University
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "arisgames" group.

Charles Leffingwell

Nov 30, 2015, 1:24:20 PM11/30/15
to arisgames
In my games, which are QR code based, the player is in a room with 5-10 QR codes.   THe QR codes are always in the room even though the particular game they are playing might not use them all.  So, for every scene in my games I handle the possibility of them scanning a code that is not used, or not the right time for, by making plaques to address those situations and then triggering the appropriate 'error' plaque for the circumstances.

It is a bit tedious to set up if you have a lot of QR codes, but sometimes the generic 'That doesn't mean anything right now' response is not adequate to redirect the player to what they should be doing.

David Gagnon

Julie Oltman

Dec 2, 2015, 3:38:06 PM12/2/15
to aris...@googlegroups.com
I think so. I'd like to be able to customize the error response for each QR/decoder code in my game.

I use the decoder a lot to have the players type in responses. I'd like to give them specific "hints" for entries that they enter incorrectly. For example, "Type in the first name you found on the gravestone." and if they don't type the right answer, it would say something like "hmmm, that's not quite right. Did you capitalize the first letter?" But another prompt might be "What year was Bethlehem founded?" And the error response would obviously need to be different.

Because I can't possibly guess every possible wrong answer players might enter, it would so helpful to one item-specific error code per item.

Make sense?

Julie Oltman
Lehigh University
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "arisgames" group.

Christopher Holden

Dec 2, 2015, 6:07:06 PM12/2/15
to aris...@googlegroups.com
Seems like the simplest thing would be to have an error message for each QR trigger. The custom error message would show when the player enters that code, or scans that image and the trigger is locked or in another scene. The author would create it right there in the trigger options. It would also be nice to be able to customize the default error message.

The other thing we need to be able to author flexible QR code based games is flexible positioning of triggers graphically within scenes. For example, I would group all of my QR near-misses in one place together.

Julie Oltman

Dec 2, 2015, 8:59:39 PM12/2/15
to arisgames
Yes, Chris! You explain it much better than I! 😃

Charles Leffingwell

Dec 3, 2015, 8:45:45 AM12/3/15
to arisgames
There are 2 categories of 'bad codes' as I see it.
  1. Ones that are not available in the game, but are included in the game somewhere.
  2. Ones that are not included anywhere in the game.
For instance #1, the error message that currently pops up seems appropriately generic to the situation.
I could see where it would be nice to have a game wide option for 'not ready yet' QR codes, but I actually prefer using plaques to redirect the player in my games for my set of commonly used codes.  The plaques are so versatile.  My error messages are usually HTML, Scanner Prompts or images within plaques.  Scanner prompts are my favorite because it reduces the amount of the player having to touch the screen to continue.

For instance #2, the current message is a bit confusing for players because it implies that eventually this could be a valid code in the game, but not just yet.
If somehow I could list the valid codes in the game settings, then perhaps an alternate message could appear that says something to the effect of , 'This code is not used for this simulation'

For the record, I like reducing 'clicks' for the playing of my scenarios.  I use the HTML autoplay and ARISjs Scanner prompt heavily. I think that 'pop-up' error messages are distracting for the health care 'in situ' augmented simulations that we are creating and I try to avoid them if I can.