France adds African perspective to colonial period archives

PeterK

Dec 4, 2016, 3:25:01 PM12/4/16
to RAINbyte, AIN, ARCHIVES-UK

France’s National Archives have invited people in some 100 cities nationwide to donate memorabilia - such as letters, photos and notebooks - linked to France's role in West Africa in the 19th and 20th century. The operation, known as La Grande Collecte, aims to enrich the memory of the colonial period, adding the personal touch that's currently lacking.

The first two editions of La Grande Collecte in 2013 and 2014 were devoted to family souvenirs of WWI. Around 20,000 people in France dug through their attics and donated memorabilia. More than 350,000 documents were digitalised as a result and can now be consulted on their website.

http://rfi.my/2fX2kZq
http://rfi.my/2fX2kZq+

--
Peterk