Land of the free? Gawker Media's new owner deletes six 'true and accurate' stories because of 'frivolous' lawsuits

PeterK

Sep 18, 2016, 12:40:37 PM9/18/16
to RAINbyte, AIN, ARCHIVES-UK, Peter Kurilecz

Executive editor John Cook was reportedly overruled by colleagues.

He said in a memo to staff reported by Gizmodo: “I communicated to Felipe and Jay in the strongest terms that deleting these posts is a mistake and that disappearing true posts about public figures simply because they have been targeted by a lawyer who conspired with a vindictive billionaire to destroy this company is an affront to the very editorial ethos that has made us successful enough to be worth acquiring.”

In a statement the Gawker Media Editorial Union said: “Univision has said that it bought Gawker Media because it believed in the work that our publications do. That work, for well over a decade, was only possible because we knew that our company leadership would defend it if it came under frivolous legal attack.

http://bit.ly/2cU4xkx
http://bit.ly/2cU4xkx+

--
Peterk