Archives and books on Soviet-era art sell-offs allegedly seized from Hermitage

1 view

PeterK

Apr 23, 2017, 1:01:25 PM4/23/17
to RAINbyte, AIN, ARCHIVES-UK, peter.kurilecz
A curator at the State Hermitage Museum in St Petersburg has claimed that government authorities have seized archives and books at the institution’s shops related to the Soviet’s sale of art nationalised after the Bolshevik Revolution to Western collectors, sparking fears of an attempt to rewrite the country’s history. The museum, however, has denied an official ban of the material, saying that work is being done to “improve” how the archives are stored.

Last Thursday, 13 April, Alexey Larionov, a curator of Dutch, Flemish and German drawings in the museum’s department of Western European fine art, posted on Facebook that he could no longer keep silent about news that was being discussed “in every corner of the Hermitage”.

http://bit.ly/2ozxTsC
http://bit.ly/2ozxTsC+

--
Peterk