Hartford Archdiocese Names New Archivist

PeterK

Jan 21, 2018, 11:17:13 AM1/21/18
to RAINbyte, AIN
Archives in the basement of the Archdiocese of Hartford’s offices, often handwritten, are a record of what the Catholic district has done in its 175-year history.

Entries in ledgers record donations from parishes in places like Norwich and Fairfield County that became their own dioceses as the number of Catholics in the state grew. Others keep track of baptisms and confirmations at churches that no longer exist.

Other records document things the archdiocese no longer does, like keeping the register for an orphanage it once had in New Haven. In another leather-bound book are donations to the archdiocese’s mission for African Americans and Native Americans from around the turn of the last century, something that has been discontinued for so long memory of why it was done has faded.

http://cour.at/2DszM5U
http://cour.at/2DszM5U+

--
Peterk