Digital demands paradigm shift in film archiving

PeterK

Oct 18, 2016, 10:23:53 PM10/18/16
to RAINbyte, AIN, ARCHIVES-UK, peter.kurilecz

At the Library of Congress Packard Campus of Audio-Visual Conservation, vaults burrow into Mount Pony on a 45-acre campus surrounded by bucolic, Virginia countryside.

The vaults used to hold gold – the facility belonged to the Federal Reserve before the Library took over – but now they’re full of film reels and video cassettes, among other artifacts of our audio-visual cultural heritage. The storage areas are kept cold – some sections register in the 30s Fahrenheit, others in the 50s – to maximize the longevity of the materials.

http://bit.ly/2dpDGdU
http://bit.ly/2dpDGdU+

--
Peterk