The 'new' Nixon library's challenge: Fairly depicting a 'failed presidency'

PeterK

Aug 20, 2016, 12:45:27 PM8/20/16
to RAINbyte, AIN, Peter Kurilecz

But in 2007, when the library finally entered the official presidential library system under the auspices of the National Archives, the exhibit was torn down and eventually replaced with a much more critical version. The museum’s heavily edited rendition of the “smoking gun” tape that implicated Nixon was replaced with the full recording, and the new exhibit placed the Watergate episode in the context of a larger campaign of presidential secrecy and sabotage.

Now a $15-million renovation focuses on the rest of the museum’s decades-old galleries, set to reopen in October, with the aim of building an unflinching but well-rounded portrait of a complicated man whose long career has often been overshadowed by his quick and stunning fall from grace.

http://lat.ms/2b6gVPT
http://lat.ms/2b6gVPT+

--
Peterk