Identifying digital file formats – a collaborative effort

1 view

PeterK

Jun 26, 2016, 1:10:19 PM6/26/16
to RAINbyte, AIN, ARCHIVES-UK

Have you got a file format you can’t identify? Send it to PRONOM.

PRONOM is an online file format registry, created and managed by The National Archives, containing details of more than 1,300 different digital file formats. It enables a wide range of users from across the world to find out what digital files they have and in which formats.

Knowing what file formats you have is an important step in constructing a digital preservation strategy. PRONOM can help you determine if your ‘.doc’ file is a Microsoft Word Document 97-2003 or a WordPerfect for Windows Document v6.0. This can then help you decide the appropriate digital preservation actions to be taken for the file formats under your care.

http://bit.ly/28WsWVi
http://bit.ly/28WsWVi+

--
Peterk