Smith County Historical Society gets spruced up, newspaper archives organized thanks to Eagle Scout project

PeterK

Jun 26, 2016, 12:30:57 PM6/26/16
to RAINbyte, AIN

A small room in the corner of the basement of the Smith County Historical Society had been neglected for many years. It sat in disarray, filled with binders of archived newspapers, old shelves and building materials. That changed quickly in January 2016, when a member Boy Scout Troop 371 learned the historical society needed a place to build exhibits and a functional storage space to preserve the history of Smith County.

Eighteen-year-old Joe Gipson, a senior at Robert E. Lee High School, was approaching the pinnacle of his Boy Scout career and was looking for service projects, when his Eagle Scout coach, Seth Halloway, heard about the unusable storage room at the Historical Society.

http://bit.ly/29cAX73
http://bit.ly/29cAX73+

--
Peterk