These Never-Before-Seen Photos From “The New York Times” Offer a New Glimpse Into African-American History

PeterK

Oct 21, 2017, 9:17:36 PM10/21/17
to RAINbyte, AIN, peter.kurilecz
There are about 10 million prints in the picture library of The New York Times, with anywhere from 60 million to 400 million photo negatives. Nicknamed “the morgue,” the archive is a living history of the United States. Each day, Times photographers went on assignment, capturing momentous events, leaders of politics and culture, or simply everyday life, and each night, editors selected certain photos for inclusion in the print edition.

That selection process was subject to the realities of deadlines, the physical limits of the paper, but also the biases—explicit and implicit—of journalists at the time. Stunning photographs were never seen outside the newsroom, and the Times’ photographs of the African-American experience, from the likes of Medgar Evers, to parades in Harlem, to soldiers in the first Gulf War, exhibit this challenge.

http://bit.ly/2zrSiEQ
http://bit.ly/2zrSiEQ+

--
Peterk