It’s now or never for a Hong Kong archives law, as British files reveal

PeterK

Jan 16, 2017, 1:02:12 PM1/16/17
to RAINbyte, AIN, ARCHIVES-UK
Direct Legislative Council elections in Hong Kong for 1988 were killed off after Britain and China secured a secret deal in October 1987, according to recently declassified British cabinet files from the National Archives in London. Under Beijing’s “private commitment”, provisions for direct Legco elections would be included in the Basic Law if they were not introduced until after the mini-constitution was promulgated three years later.

http://bit.ly/2jCeW6B
http://bit.ly/2jCeW6B+

--
Peterk