Houston’s history being saved one photo at a time

PeterK

Jul 2, 2015, 11:17:19 PM7/2/15
to RAINbyte, AIN, Peter Kurilecz

“Almost two decades ago, my father ran across a film collection by a commercial photographer that was being destroyed for the silver content. They were gonna burn every negative and render it down,” Sloane explains, “and he just couldn’t allow that to happen, being a native Houstonian, a photographer (and) a lover of Houston’s history.”

Story’s dad was able to save 3,000 of those images, most of which captured things not found in other historical archives. They include pictures of the 1928 HL&P-lighted sign that welcomed visitors to Houston, “Gateway to the World.” Another depicts the delivery of the very first Ford Model A car here in front of the Rice Hotel that same year.

http://bit.ly/1KwtDC7
http://bit.ly/1KwtDC7+

--
Peterk