Transforming Archives: digital preservation and computer science

PeterK

Jun 26, 2016, 1:08:55 PM6/26/16
to RAINbyte, AIN, ARCHIVES-UK, Peter Kurilecz

I come from a Computer Science background. I’ve worked both as a web developer and copywriter, as well as an assistant IT tutor. My first thought upon noticing the job advertisement was that I knew absolutely nothing about archives; in fact, I had never even seen one before. This sparked my curiosity, especially when I saw that they were looking for people with an IT related background. I hadn’t considered a career path like this before, and with this offering an alternate way into the sector it seemed like too good an opportunity to pass up.

Digital preservation is an interesting challenge, and, like archives, it was not something that I had particularly encountered before. When you say archiving to most people in IT, it means moving files to a folder or webpage labelled ‘archives’, arranging by date and then forgetting about them. Actually preserving that digital information for extended periods of time is a foreign concept.

http://bit.ly/28WsLta
http://bit.ly/28WsLta+

--
Peterk