Editorial: Preserving R.I.’s incomparable history

1 view

PeterK

Apr 24, 2018, 9:57:02 PM4/24/18
to RAINbyte, AIN

As one of America’s 13 colonies, Rhode Island has a special place in history. Its founder, Roger Williams, is one of America’s greatest and most admired historic figures, as an early champion of free speech, freedom of conscience and the separation of church and state — ideas at the core of this remarkable nation.

So it is shameful to see the conditions of its state archives, the historical records dating back to 1638 that Rhode Island preserves.

As Secretary of State Nellie M. Gorbea noted in an April 18 Commentary piece (“R.I. must preserve its great history”), the archives are kept in a rented facility at 337 Westminster St., in Providence. It is the only state archives in America housed in commercially rented space.

http://bit.ly/2FdHlJG
http://bit.ly/2FdHlJG+

--
Peterk