Foss’ collection of Urhobo archival materials bound for Ghana

PeterK

Aug 13, 2017, 4:32:25 PM8/13/17
to RAINbyte, AIN, ARCHIVES-UK

From the U.S. came 50 years of documenting the art and culture of Urhobo, a prominent ethnic group in Nigeria’s Niger Delta. On its way to Accra, Ghana, for presentation to an international audience, the rarely seen Urhobo archival pictures, film and texts made a stop-over in Lagos, courtesy of it’s holder and researcher, Prof. Perkins Foss, a retired academic from Pensylvania State University, U.S.

A familiar name to the community of Nigerian art and culture, Foss served as an assistant to colonial era Head of Antiquity, Kenneth C Murray. Foss’ boss was renowned for his efforts in the establishment of what would later be the National Museum, Onikan, Lagos.

http://bit.ly/2w3R8AY
http://bit.ly/2w3R8AY+

--
Peterk