From Norfolk to NARA: The Unexpected Journey of the Navy Shipyard Glass Plate Negatives

PeterK

Jun 20, 2017, 10:05:52 PM6/20/17
to RAINbyte, AIN, peter.kurilecz
It was not until 2011 that senior archivist, Nick Natanson, proposed that Norfolk Shipyard transfer photographs to NARA.  Nick arranged for then-branch-chief, Ed McCarter, and photo conservator, Sara Shpargel, to visit the Norfolk Naval Shipyard and decide if transfer was warranted. Out of nearly 300,000 photographs, Ed and Sara determined that approximately 3,000 photos on glass plates and their corresponding albums were in the most urgent need of conservation and recommended that they be transferred to NARA.

http://bit.ly/2rATQsT
http://bit.ly/2rATQsT+

--
Peterk