Ireland - Staying off the record on access to archives

PeterK

Oct 21, 2017, 9:20:30 PM10/21/17
to RAINbyte, AIN, ARCHIVES-UK

Catriona Crowe, the former head of special projects at the National Archives, is frustrated.

More than that, she is angry.

She is frustrated that survivors of abuse in Ireland’s myriad of institutions like industrial schools, Magdalene Laundries and Mother and Baby Homes have to keep fighting and begging for access to records that should be theirs by right.

Ms Crowe is angry that, despite years and years of multiple state inquiries into what is essentially the same issue — the treatment of vulnerable women and children in religious run institutions — there remains no will at government level to engage the religious orders and Catholic Church in a process to bring all these records together in a centralised, independent repository which can be accessed by survivors, academics and genealogists.

http://bit.ly/2gsmBUx
http://bit.ly/2gsmBUx+

--
Peterk