Spanish Archive Raises Franco-Era Ghosts and Shadows of a New Chasm

PeterK

Jul 17, 2016, 1:18:09 PM7/17/16
to RAINbyte, AIN, ARCHIVES-UK

SANT CUGAT DEL VALLÈS, Spain — Monday marks 80 years since the uprising led by Gen. Francisco Franco plunged Spain into civil war. But Pere Bartolomé, 93, says he can still remember the day Franco’s soldiers ransacked his village, confiscating family booklets and photos.

Some of those documents were returned to him only this month, after being kept hidden for decades as part of an enormous police archive that Franco used to incriminate his opponents.

http://nyti.ms/2a8j39K
http://nyti.ms/2a8j39K+

--
Peterk