Project will digitize Catholic records of Boston Archdiocese

PeterK

Jan 16, 2017, 1:18:14 PM1/16/17
to RAINbyte, AIN

BOSTON (AP) — Two of Boston’s most venerable institutions are teaming up to create an online database of hundreds of thousands of Roman Catholic Church documents to help people trace their family histories.

The New England Historic Genealogical Society and the Archdiocese of Boston on Tuesday announced the project that was first talked about two years ago. It’s the first time a significant number of sacramental records from any U.S. diocese have been digitized on this scale, the organizations said.

The plan is to digitize and index records from 1789 to 1900 from all the parishes in the archdiocese, even those that no longer exist. They are about 5,000 volumes to digitize, some as many as 500 pages, said Thomas Lester, the archivist and records manager for the archdiocese.

http://bit.ly/2iz4j2D
http://bit.ly/2iz4j2D+

--
Peterk