Carleton preserves public memory of everyday Myanmar with digital archive

1 view

PeterK

Apr 23, 2017, 1:05:01 PM4/23/17
to RAINbyte, AIN, ARCHIVES-UK

Twenty-five years after leaving Myanmar as a political dissident, Carleton professor Tun Myint returned and decided to document the public memory of a country recovering from half a century of military dictatorship.

Since 2013, Myint and about 10 student researchers conducted interviews and documented the livelihoods of everyday people to capture the public memory of its authoritarian history, rather than the state-sanctioned version as Myanmar’s democracy finds its footing. Military dictatorship lasted from 1962 until 2011.

“The winners write history,” Myint said. “The history that we learn from a history book is very, very selected events.”

http://bit.ly/2pqu7Wp
http://bit.ly/2pqu7Wp+

--
Peterk