Dozens of letters by interned Japanese-Canadian teens donated to UBC

PeterK

Apr 24, 2018, 9:34:47 PM4/24/18
to RAINbyte, AIN, ARCHIVES-UK

UBC has acquired nearly 150 letters written by young Japanese-Canadians interned in camps during the Second World War.

The letters, amounting to more than 300 pages, were written to Joan Gillis by friends she met at Queen Elizabeth Secondary in Surrey, B.C.

In early 1942, the Canadian government ordered people of Japanese descent living in B.C. to be removed from their homes and interned for the remaining duration of the war, during which time their homes and businesses were sold to keep the camps running.

http://bit.ly/2qWns5E
http://bit.ly/2qWns5E+

--
Peterk