Windrush scandal: a historian on why destroying archives is never a good idea

PeterK

Apr 24, 2018, 10:08:48 PM4/24/18
to RAINbyte, AIN, ARCHIVES-UK, Archivists&Archives, RECMGMT-UK
rchival practices rarely make headlines. Databases are sexy, archives less so – at least for most people. Whenever we do read about archives, it’s almost exclusively in the context of something disappearing. Apparently, we never know a good thing until it’s gone.

Most recently, it transpired that the Home Office apparently destroyed Windrush landing cards eight years ago. These, it now seems, were crucial documents in establishing the legal status of Caribbean-born residents who arrived in the 1950s and 1960s. The question of exactly who is to take the blame for this action remains under debate.

http://bit.ly/2Ff48Vw
http://bit.ly/2Ff48Vw+

--
Peterk