Do Trump's tweets belong in the National Archives?

PeterK

Jun 17, 2017, 11:49:47 PM6/17/17
to RAINbyte, AIN, RECMGMT-L

The bill, like Trump's tweets, raises loads of tough questions. How could tweets, of all things, be considered federal records? What constitutes a record? And why do we even make these distinctions in 2017, when electronic storage is cheap and plentiful and we can keep everything?

Let's start with the Federal Records Act. Enacted in 1950, it's the guide for how the U.S. government keeps its records. In 2014, the Obama administration updated it, modernizing the definitions to include electronic documents. That update also granted the Archivist of the United States (yes, we have one) full discretion to determine what constitutes a federal record.

http://bit.ly/2sLxRDn
http://bit.ly/2sLxRDn+

--
Peterk