Archivists digitize Paris attack tributes to preserve memories

PeterK

Oct 19, 2016, 9:49:29 PM10/19/16
to RAINbyte, AIN, ARCHIVES-UK

Paris archivists have collected written messages, drawings and other tributes left at the sites of last November's attacks, in which Islamic State gunmen killed 130 people, in order to preserve them in digital form.

The Nov. 13 attacks, in which attackers opened fire and carried out suicide bombings at the Bataclan music hall, restaurants and bars as well as the Stade de France football stadium, triggered an outpouring of sympathy that materialized in makeshift memorials across the French capital.

A team from the Paris archives began collecting the tributes in December, and over the following eight months worked with street cleaners and garbage collectors to salvage more than 9,000 items not destroyed by rain or street wear.

http://reut.rs/2embCcW
http://reut.rs/2embCcW+

--
Peterk