Quebecers invited to participate in 'scan-a-thon' of First Nations archives

1 view

PeterK

Aug 13, 2017, 12:39:37 PM8/13/17
to RAINbyte, AIN, ARCHIVES-UK

In the summer of 2014, the Bibliothèque et Archives nationales du Québec (BAnQ) collaborated with Wikimedia for one of their first projects together.

It involved uploading Montreal photographer Conrad Poirier’s photos into Wikimedia Commons, an online repository of free-use images, sound and other media files.

Of the more than 21,000 photos found in Poirier’s archives — taken between 1932 and 1960 and often sold to newspapers like the Montreal Gazette and La Presse — some 1,700 were uploaded online. A pilot project, the BAnQ’s expectations for it were relatively low.

http://bit.ly/2wGmThB
http://bit.ly/2wGmThB+

--
Peterk