New project brings major folk song collection to UK

1 view

PeterK

Apr 23, 2017, 1:08:12 PM4/23/17
to RAINbyte, ARCHIVES-UK, AIN

The Vaughan Williams Memorial Library Digital Archive has launched a new project to incorporate a pivotal early 20th century collection of British songs into its folk music database.

The digitised collection of James Madison Carpenter (pictured above), which has previously only been accessible by visiting the Library of Congress in Washington, DC, will become free to access online for the first time.

Carpenter’s work includes a wealth of traditional songs, ballads and folk plays collected from performers in Scotland, England and Wales by the Harvard-trained scholar, mostly in the period from 1929 to 1935.

http://bit.ly/2q4eNuP
http://bit.ly/2q4eNuP+

--
Peterk