Historic photo revives interest in Negro League's St. Louis Stars

PeterK

Dec 4, 2016, 2:31:03 PM12/4/16
to RAINbyte, AIN

Sallwasser, a photo archivist for the Missouri Historical Society, was recently identifying and cataloging negatives received from a collection when she came across an image of a ballpark.

Initially, Sallwasser believed the 1922 photo to be an exterior view of Sportsman’s Park, which stood at North Grand Boulevard and Dodier Street from 1902 to 1966. That ballpark, purchased by Anheuser-Busch and renamed Busch Stadium in 1953, was the city’s major league hub until a stadium opened downtown in 1966.

http://bit.ly/2gVRkJj
http://bit.ly/2gVRkJj+

--
Peterk