George P. Bush settles lawsuit with Daughters of the Republic of Texas over artifact collection

PeterK

Jun 26, 2016, 12:44:10 PM6/26/16
to RAINbyte, AIN

Texas Land Commissioner George P. Bush settled a lawsuit with the Daughters of the Republic of Texas this week. The lawsuit, which began last year after Bush fired the Daughters of the Republic of Texas from managing the Alamo, was over the Daughters of the Republic of Texas Library Collection.

According to the suit the group filed, Bush's agency tried to claim ownership of the collection of artifacts. He also ordered organization staff members be locked out of the library.  But the organization claimed it owned most of the artifacts in the collection, made up of about 38,000 items. The library was first started in 1945.

http://bit.ly/28VR4cf
http://bit.ly/28VR4cf+

AUSTIN — The Daughters of the Republic of Texas and Texas Land Commissioner George P. Bush have reached a legal settlement to their yearlong dispute over an archival library housed on the Alamo grounds since 1950.

“The Daughters held fast and our prayers were answered,” said Dr. Betty J. Edwards, president general of the Daughters of the Republic of Texas. “With this behind us, we can refocus on our mission to ensure the next generation of Texans understand and appreciate our unique history as a sovereign republic.”

http://bit.ly/28WPx3e
http://bit.ly/28WPx3e+

--
Peterk