The history of Iraqi Jews is in jeopardy

PeterK

Oct 21, 2017, 10:01:25 PM10/21/17
to RAINbyte, AIN, ARCHIVES-UK, peter.kurilecz

For more than 10 years, the United States has served as a gracious host to thousands of Iraqi Jewish artifacts discovered by the U.S. military in Saddam Hussein’s intelligence headquarters during the Iraq War. The trove, which includes 2,700 books, Torah scrolls and prayer books, and thousands of documents dating to the 1500s, represents the lost history of a once thriving, two-millennia-old Jewish community in Iraq.

Despite the U.S. government’s valiant effort to preserve and restore this treasure, the State Department is preparing to return the artifacts to Iraq in September 2018 in accordance with an agreement made with the Iraqi government under the Obama administration.

http://wapo.st/2hXoOHV
http://wapo.st/2hXoOHV+

--
Peterk