At Space tonight-winterfest, go pro, and more!

Amberly Brown

Jan 23, 2018, 9:47:32 AM1/23/18
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com, arch-react...@googlegroups.com
HI All!

Mike and I will be at the space tonight around 7 pm. We will be available to talk about HAM Radio and this weekend's event, WinterFest. Mike and I have a table and would be happy to put out AR information. If appropriate, we can also take computer items that are for sale to put on the table.
The forums this year are "DC Power Technologies, Distribution, Batteries, and Solar" and "Getting on the Air" --all the basics on Antennas!
Only $8 if ordered by Thursday for entrance, $10 at the door. All tickets count for the raffle! Hourly door prizes and a grand prize of a NEW Radio (ICOM 718) with three Cash Prizes for runners up!!
(additional raffle tickets are available at 6/$5 or $1 ea)

Additionally:

I will have my Go Pro if anyone wants to give an on camera tour of the space, which I will then share for someone with more experience to edit!

We have a box of Machinist magazines to donate to the space.

I would like to finish up the google survey I suggested earlier and find out how to upload it to the tablet for the space to use, if someone can assist?

In general, if you've wondered who Mike and Amberly are, tonight is your chance! We will appear!

Amberly

Sterling Coffey

Jan 23, 2018, 10:09:34 AM1/23/18
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
See y'all there!

-N0SSC

Myles Farrell

Jan 23, 2018, 11:08:39 AM1/23/18
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Hey Amberly, Do you have any info on timing? The only thing I see that has times is the testing. When will the presentations be? Are those the only two talks, if so is it mostly a vendor fair?

Amberly Brown

Jan 23, 2018, 11:43:28 AM1/23/18
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

There should be tabs on the top that say things like "news and updates", "activities", etc that have drop down menus when you hover. Here is the direct link to the presentations, and a copy of the class descriptions:

Winterfest 2018 - Forums and Speakers:

Title: "DC Power Technologies, Distribution, Batteries, and Solar"  ((11:30 am))
Presenter: Mark Siegesmund W9WMR, West Mountain Radio

This presentation covers the special considerations involved with low voltage, high current DC
power as used in Amateur Radio.   Cable loss and connector suitability are discussed.

An overview of the state of battery technology will be presented with a comparison of the technologies as it applies to Amateur Radio.
Battery configurations, safety, and the use of solar power are all included in this session.

Title:  "Getting On The Air"  ((10 AM))

Presenter:  Emmett Hohensee WØQH, RadioWavz

Emmett will present on antenna concepts and design along with a lengthy crowd participation Q&A about:

  • Which antennas to use and when
  • How to get the most out of your antennas
  • Whatever antenna questions you might have.

Come and join in on the fun to learn a little bit more about amateur radio antennas.

I've paged the WinterFest committee chair re: time, since apparently this hasn't been added online yet. The times are Emmett is at 10 am and Mark at 11:30.

The big draw is the Vendor fair. It is a mix of flea market stalls and professional/commercial set ups. You can buy anything from antennas and batteries to radios and tubes. New and old items, computers and accessories, boxes of mystery cables, books and random stuff!

It's a lot of fun, I think, and you meet some interesting people!

Amberly