Lasering photos

Diane Sudduth

Dec 2, 2016, 4:39:31 PM12/2/16
to Arch Reactor
Have had a few conversations with people recently about rastering photos with the laser.   Was recently pointed to this Instructable for one person's tips/tricks.   They use Adobe Photoshop but hopefully the concepts are universal enough to use with other image processing programs.

I'm entirely self-taught, but if anyone out in AR-Land has a lot of photo-processing experience would you please volunteer to do a workshop some Tuesday evening?    I'm sure a lot of us would benefit.    The Space has an older copy of Corel, so that would be ideal if anyone is willing to help...

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Laser-Engraving-Photo/?ALLSTEPS

Jim S

Dec 3, 2016, 11:37:53 AM12/3/16
to Arch Reactor
Sounds interesting...  I would recommend using free software tools so people aren't as limited on where they do the prep.  Here's a link that uses GIMP which is free and in many places suggested as an alternative to Photoshop.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Prepare-a-color-image-for-laser-engraving/

dennis

Dec 4, 2016, 8:56:55 AM12/4/16
to Arch Reactor
I would appreciate a laser cutter class.

As Corel is set up already , this link shows the basics of importing and sending designs. http://academy.kaziunas.com/tutorials/corel_draw_laser.php

Diane

Dec 4, 2016, 10:30:17 AM12/4/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Travis hosts a class on the laser monthly, typically the last Thursday evening of the month.   He covers items similar to the link that you sent, much of which is also published in our guide::  https://archreactor.org/project/laser-cutter-guide.  Check the AR calendar for the December class.

Tons of folks at AR are familiar with all this material and frequently help any time we're open.

At this point I don't think any of us are experts when it comes to lasering photographs though meant of us have dabbled.   If anyone makes a solid breakthrough I hope they'll host a workshop!

I've agreed to show off some tricks in Inkscape at our "sister" Hackerspace, Inventor Forge out in St Charles on Monday, December 12.   There won't be any formal documentation to distribute (I don't have any nor time to create any) but will attempt to be coherent as I run through some options.  I'll be sharing that Facebook Event to the AR FB page later this morning.

Diane  <*>

Jim S

Dec 4, 2016, 11:51:44 AM12/4/16
to Arch Reactor
Guess I may have to break down and sign up for FB ...  So far I have resisted FB as I have plenty of distractions/sources of info already.  :)

Di

Dec 4, 2016, 12:06:02 PM12/4/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Jim,

I wouldn't want to force you onto Facebook just for one event.   Here are the details thus far:

Inkscape for Lasercutting

Monday, December 12, 7 PM - 9 PM

Inventor Forge Maker Space
235 Jungermann Road Suite 112
Saint Peters, Missouri 63376

Details
Join us for a class on Inkscape for Lasercutting! Diane Sudduth from Arch Reactor has graciously offered to teach a class on how she uses Inkscape to do etching and cutting with a laser cutter. We will try to do a hangout or stream to YouTube. More details to follow.

Jim S

Dec 4, 2016, 7:48:23 PM12/4/16
to Arch Reactor
Thanks!  I could have used my wifes FB if needed.  I may end up doing it anyway at some point...

Was just checking out the Inventor Forge web site and it appears the classes at their location are members only with open classes at libraries.  Know anything about that?  If this class isn't open I guess being an AR member works?

Diane

Dec 4, 2016, 7:58:40 PM12/4/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
AR and Inventor Forge are something like sister organizations.  I don't know if every class is open to AR folks but since I'm teaching it I'm granting myself the authority to open things up.  Have invited a few friends who live out that way, too.

Diane  <*>

Jim S

Dec 4, 2016, 9:06:31 PM12/4/16
to Arch Reactor
Awesome!  I thought it was probably something like that.