AR Mini-lathe

Frank Kallal

Feb 18, 2016, 12:35:34 PM2/18/16
to Arch Reactor
I have a Project that may Require Lathe use...  What Metals can Mini-lathe at AR support.   Looking for Aluminum and maybe Brass.

Frank

Keith Rogers

Feb 18, 2016, 1:04:41 PM2/18/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Al brass steel wood... No material limits really - just lighter cuts.

Sent from my mobile device

On Feb 18, 2016, at 11:35 AM, Frank Kallal <fr...@kallal.net> wrote:

I have a Project that may Require Lathe use...  What Metals can Mini-lathe at AR support.   Looking for Aluminum and maybe Brass.

Frank

Frank Kallal

Feb 18, 2016, 1:16:48 PM2/18/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Cool, then in the next several week I'll start looking for someone to teach me the Lathe.  Thanks for the heads up.

Keith Rogers

Feb 18, 2016, 4:27:20 PM2/18/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
What sort of project are you working on?

Frank Kallal

Feb 18, 2016, 5:40:34 PM2/18/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
heh I want Cribbage Pegs... :)  and I don't wanna pay what they will cost me if i buy them made...

and honestly i think it's a good excuse to learn the lathe.

Robert Kleeschulte

Feb 18, 2016, 6:01:02 PM2/18/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Would be a good way to learn on the lathe. Small project that could be done in metal or fancy wood.

Jim S

Feb 20, 2016, 11:05:05 AM2/20/16
to Arch Reactor
I am interested in lathe for light metal work also.  Any chance this could be a group thing?  Each person doing their own items wouldn't be practical but I would like to just come and watch the process to pick up tips.  I have been doing a bunch of reading but seeing it done and getting some pointers would be great.

Keith Rogers

Feb 20, 2016, 3:14:56 PM2/20/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
If there's interest I can come down and do a demo on a Friday evening or some Sat or sun.  I'm not sure on the current condition of the lathe but can bring my demo unit.

Sent from my mobile device

On Feb 20, 2016, at 10:05 AM, Jim S <jimski...@gmail.com> wrote:

I am interested in lathe for light metal work also.  Any chance this could be a group thing?  Each person doing their own items wouldn't be practical but I would like to just come and watch the process to pick up tips.  I have been doing a bunch of reading but seeing it done and getting some pointers would be great.

Frank Kallal

Feb 20, 2016, 10:55:41 PM2/20/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Umm if you are Free I'll be there Most of next Saturday (12pm till 2am or so)

jimski...@gmail.com

Feb 25, 2016, 12:29:57 PM2/25/16
to Arch Reactor
Looks like Saturday is the day of the move of these tools. I could make it there Saturday afternoon/evening but am wondering about conflicts with the move.

Frank Kallal

Feb 25, 2016, 12:43:59 PM2/25/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
It's a good Point...   I'm not in a huge Hurry, so lets push off a week or two to let the dust settle.

On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 11:29 AM, <jimski...@gmail.com> wrote:
Looks like Saturday is the day of the move of these tools.  I could make it there Saturday afternoon/evening but am wondering about conflicts with the move.

Keith Rogers

Feb 25, 2016, 1:44:52 PM2/25/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Agreed, it looks like Saturday would be risky.  If anyone would like a personal demo, I have the Taig micro lathe setup in my home workshop and do demonstrations by appointment, usually week nights or weekends.  I'm a dealer for the company (Taig Tools) that makes the micro lathe.  Contact me via email directly if interested.  Meanwhile, we can shoot for one or two weeks out for a group demo.  -Keith

Frank Kallal

Mar 24, 2016, 11:46:55 AM3/24/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Hey Keith :)

Now that the Move has happened,  Can we set up some time to maybe poke at the Lathe so i can learn a few things :) when might you have some free time.

Frank

Keith Rogers

Mar 24, 2016, 2:42:49 PM3/24/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Schedules are tight the next couple of weekends.  I can do this Sunday at 10am if that works for anyone?

Keith Rogers

Mar 25, 2016, 4:51:44 PM3/25/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I'm betting this Sunday is booked with Easter plans for most, so how about we shoot for 4/9 or 4/10.  I can make one of those mornings work.  Let me know!  -Keith

Frank Kallal

Mar 25, 2016, 5:57:24 PM3/25/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
4/9 is probably good for me personally.

Jacob Francois

Mar 25, 2016, 7:31:06 PM3/25/16
to Arch Reactor
Hey Guys, I would love to participate in a demo on the mini lathe if you are doing it any time sat.

Jim S

Mar 28, 2016, 1:17:34 PM3/28/16
to Arch Reactor
I should be able to do April 9 or 10.  Prefer not the 9th around 4 - 7 PM  but could probably shift things around to do that time too if that's what works for others...

Keith Rogers

Mar 28, 2016, 1:55:41 PM3/28/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
How does 4/9 at 10am work?

Sent from my mobile device

Jim S

Mar 31, 2016, 7:25:58 AM3/31/16
to Arch Reactor
That works for me.

Frank Kallal

Mar 31, 2016, 3:03:27 PM3/31/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
It's a Date then

Keith Rogers

Mar 31, 2016, 3:11:22 PM3/31/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Ok, it's on my calendar (Taig lathe demo, 4/9 at 10am to 12pm).  Can we add to the site calendar?

Sent from my mobile device

Travis Megee

Mar 31, 2016, 3:20:04 PM3/31/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Keith,

You can just invite the AR Calendar to your event.  The calendar email address is stickied in the sanctum.

Travis

Frank Kallal

Apr 7, 2016, 5:29:12 PM4/7/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
this has been added to the Calendar at AR.  See you there Keith.

Keith Rogers

Apr 7, 2016, 5:31:43 PM4/7/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Frank - Thanks for adding that.. I have been on travel and hadn't gotten around to it.  Does anyone know the condition of the lathe at the shop?  Are the accessories pretty much there and the whole thing with access to power?  -Keith

Tony Strawhun

Apr 7, 2016, 5:39:21 PM4/7/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

Keith Rogers

Apr 9, 2016, 10:06:47 AM4/9/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
On my way.. Is anyone going to be there before 10?  I don't have access.

Sent from my mobile device