Hang Drywall Saturday 11/12 10am-2pm

Nathan Schrenk

Nov 10, 2016, 10:13:49 AM11/10/16
to Arch Reactor
Derek,

I can be there from 11:30 to 2:00pm to help. I'll need to bring my kids since Kathy is busy on Saturday but hopefully they will occupy themselves playing on the arcade machine or watching videos on tablets that I'll bring with us.

Nathan

On Thu, Nov 10, 2016 at 8:49 AM, 'Derek Sigler' via Arch Reactor <arch-r...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
I have some free time Saturday morning.  I plan to be at the space 10 to 2.    If two people can join me, we can hang some drywall.  ( 9 to 1 works too if needed)

Myles Farrell

Nov 10, 2016, 12:41:27 PM11/10/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
So we don't actually have any bare walls right now. I think this will need to be changed to a framing/insulating day. I was planning on taking this weekend off to catch up on person chores, but I'll probably be there anyway.

Morganism

Jim S

Nov 10, 2016, 1:05:51 PM11/10/16
to Arch Reactor, nat...@schrenk.org
I plan to be there around 10...

Chris Weiss

Nov 10, 2016, 3:08:30 PM11/10/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I thought the one classroom wall was still bare?  that's just a few sheets, and not tricky ones, so that shouldn't take long.

Myles Farrell

Nov 10, 2016, 7:20:00 PM11/10/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

Forgot about that one. You are correct Chris.

On Thu, Nov 10, 2016 at 2:08 PM, Chris Weiss <cwe...@gmail.com> wrote:
I thought the one classroom wall was still bare?  that's just a few sheets, and not tricky ones, so that shouldn't take long.

Chris Weiss

Nov 10, 2016, 9:45:57 PM11/10/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I did some sweeping and measuring tonight, sharing what I learned so solutions can be planned for Sat.

the west wall that needs drywall still needs the electrical boxes moved  out so they sit flush.  should be easier and better than the spacers we'll have to use on the finished wall.

the outside wall has a pillar that's 5" out from the brick, and along the floor there's a ridge that's up to 3/4" out from the brick. the 2x4s will need to be set out and so something will need made to attach them at the top.

the flex conduit is in the way of where the wall should go to line up with the other walls.

if the tables on the south end are moved there might be enough room to do tilt up style construction, which should be faster.  if not, don't hammer 2x4's into place, it makes for bowing and the drywall won't line up, which has been a problem.  I'd even recommend making the 2x4's square with the floor and not level so that the drywall is easier to square up, less plastering later.

nfolken

Nov 13, 2016, 5:38:57 PM11/13/16
to Arch Reactor, nat...@schrenk.org
I'm afraid I'll be out of town for work a lot the next couple of months.

The flex was temp till the walls went up and got replaced with conduit. Not sure if it can just be moved around while the wall goes up, or if it needs to be taken down (which I think would just disable the front 2 light switches)

I had envisioned the framing being flush with the pillars so that the drywall would just cover it, making an unbroken smooth wall.

Chris Weiss

Nov 13, 2016, 5:46:47 PM11/13/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
we made it so the drywall will go flush, and used some L brackets on the top.  the conduit is moved without disconnecting, so something needs done with it.  but the wall frame is up, so the permanent plan can be implemented.

Nathan Schrenk

Nov 13, 2016, 6:33:57 PM11/13/16
to Arch Reactor, Niels Black
To elaborate a bit on what Chris wrote: we unfastened the MC cable from the classroom wall without disconnecting it and have it temporarily suspended with duct tape. The section of east wall between the shop and the first pillar is framed, even with the pillar so drywall can just cover it.

My understanding of Niels' plan is that after we finish the drywall on the east wall we will replace that MC cable with regular wire run in conduit fastened to the wall surface.

Niels, did you envision any electrical being run inside the east wall, e.g. for outlets? What about a few Ethernet drops?

Nathan

On Sun, Nov 13, 2016 at 4:46 PM, Chris Weiss <cwe...@gmail.com> wrote:
we made it so the drywall will go flush, and used some L brackets on the top.  the conduit is moved without disconnecting, so something needs done with it.  but the wall frame is up, so the permanent plan can be implemented.

Niels Black

Nov 13, 2016, 9:38:44 PM11/13/16
to Nathan Schrenk, Arch Reactor
Yes (outlets in wall), yes (Ethernet in wall), and also maybe some additional wood behind the drywall to mount the tv brackets to.

Niels Black