Acrylic welding/gluing help, please

Diane Sudduth

Dec 1, 2016, 8:53:11 PM12/1/16
to Arch Reactor

So I had this idea of making a pair of blue-acrylic votive holders with Tardis artwork on them for First Friday.    The design isn't perfect but they look reasonably cool.

Here's my problem.   We seem to be out of the acrylic-welding stuff.   I'd ordered more through Frank when he placed his last acrylic order but he hasn't had a chance to deliver it yet.   So by tomorrow at 5pm I need another plan.    Thoughts?    Epoxy?   Super-glue?    I've not had much luck with the acrylic-weld stuff but that's the only thing I've ever tried to use and I think I heard that not every glue actually will work with acrylic.

Help?   Please?    With something easy for me to find?

Di  <*>

P.S.  Not actually color-filled, just rastered.   3" x 3" x 5", approx.    With battery-powered LEDs (which I'm off to Ikea now to purchase)

Travis Megee

Dec 1, 2016, 8:57:52 PM12/1/16
to Arch Reactor
Theoretically you should be able to accomplish something similar with acetone.  Otherwise I'd just use cyanoacrylate.

Diane Sudduth

Dec 1, 2016, 9:03:42 PM12/1/16
to Arch Reactor
For those of us who barely passed chemistry, what's cyanoacrylate?   Does it have a more common name?

Travis Megee

Dec 1, 2016, 9:04:29 PM12/1/16
to Arch Reactor
Super glue!

Andrew Ricke

Dec 2, 2016, 12:02:33 AM12/2/16
to Arch Reactor
Also labeled CA glue at woodworking stores. You can get slower drying or thicker versions of the stuff to make your life easier.

EschewObfuscation

Dec 2, 2016, 8:58:27 AM12/2/16
to Arch Reactor
Standard acrylic "weld" fluid is in fact nothing more than pure acetone, available by the gallon the paint section at any home center. It works by fusing the acrylic but as it is such low viscosity, needs close fits to work well. If your parts have loose fit, then an adhesive with more body might work better for you. Acetone used well gives the absolute best results, but as you noted, it has a shallow learning curve (takes some practice to get up to even acceptable results)

Jim S

Dec 2, 2016, 9:34:54 AM12/2/16
to Arch Reactor
If the joints were simply one plate to another without the tabs the strength of the joint would be much more important.  Since the designs have tabs (if you copy that design) then either method should work ok even if not done well enough for maximum strength.  As noted this method does not fill gaps so the joints must fit tight (but with this box type design and tabs if only one side of the tabs touch that will be plenty strong (IMHO).  If you go with acetone you could look at this as a chance to refine your skills with that method.