filament size

Matthew Hart

Mar 18, 2015, 9:54:15 PM3/18/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Greetings all!  I have been drooling at 3d printers from afar for a little over a year now.  Then I head about the Arch Reactor space and I went to the 3d printer meetup last month - now I'm more excited than ever to build my own 3d printer.  I'm planning on making a Griffin Delta printer.  I am going to become a support Member soon, probably with the start of April, so that I can hopefully make use of a 3d printer to print the parts needed for the Griffin.

Here's my question, what size filament should I buy to use? And are there any manufacturer recommendations?

Chris Weiss

Mar 19, 2015, 9:45:58 AM3/19/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
the print head you choose defines the size to use. I believe the
standard Griffin design uses 1.75mm. the Taz we have at the space
uses 3mm. demand for the Taz is pretty high, so we're also in process
of building a Griffin for the space that will use 1.75mm.

Robert Kleeschulte

Mar 19, 2015, 3:47:15 PM3/19/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
You can get 1.75mm Locally at Microcenter, but they have very little in
3mm( saw white, pink, yellow in pla abs?). They have a good stock of the
1.75mm if someone needs a color quickly.

Matthew Hart

Mar 21, 2015, 4:40:47 PM3/21/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I don't mind waiting my turn to get to use a printer.  I think i'll just order some 3mm filament online as I really like the look of all black framing.

George Fetters

Mar 22, 2015, 9:55:45 PM3/22/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
There is also a guy on ebay that is local.  He sells both sizes at 23$ a kg.  Here is the latest link. http://www.ebay.com/itm/3D-Printer-Filament-1kg-2-2lb-ABS-or-PLA-3mm-or-1-75mm-FAST-US-SHIP-/171166512612?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item27da51b5e4

You will get it by mail in about a day or you can go get it from him up by Mills Mall.

Robert Kleeschulte

Mar 23, 2015, 2:20:57 PM3/23/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I think Doug or Scott may have talked to these guys.

Matthew Hart

Mar 27, 2015, 3:50:05 PM3/27/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Have you printed with it?  There are few bad reviews but they were posted a year ago.  http://reprap.org/wiki/FilamentReviewsKBell
It would be awesome if it's good stuff, I live in the next suburb over - Florissant.

Sheepdog .

Mar 30, 2015, 5:19:01 AM3/30/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I'm quite familiar with it all, ask me about it on Tuesday, but basically it's cheap Chinese stuff and I've had good and bad luck with it.

Personally, I prefer Ultimachine, but Toner Plastics/Microcenter store brand/Griffin plastic is a very close second for less than half price. 3dxtech isn't bad either. Others work, and plastic has gotten consistently better, but now that i have access to better plastic, I'll stick with it over the cheap Chinese stuff.

George Fetters

Apr 7, 2015, 1:04:45 PM4/7/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I've been printing with it for about a year.  It works fine for me.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/arch-reactor/7af27a35-6a5c-42b2-bf4b-266d63677b33%40googlegroups.com.

Matthew Hart

Apr 7, 2015, 2:13:39 PM4/7/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I bought a roll of the PLA filament and printed my first ever piece this past Sunday.  For some reason the filament stopped feeding about 1/4 of the way through the print, but that's probably because I was trying to get the TAZ to go too fast.  Aside from that it worked great, thanks everyone for the help.
20150407_130507.jpg