Halloween project night

Nathan Schrenk

Oct 10, 2017, 1:22:13 PM10/10/17
to Arch Reactor
Who's coming to Halloween project night?

I plan to be there with my kids working on some costumes. One of them wants to make a viking axe and the other wants to make a crown.

For the axe I have a 1 1/8" dowel for the handle and some plywood that I'd like to cut for the axe head. I'm thinking of cutting a notch in the top of the dowel to slide the axe head into, but not sure what type of saw would be best for that. Table saw (maybe with dado blade) or band saw?

For the crown we'll probably just use cardboard, although some kind of foam might be better. I've also toyed with the idea of using the laser to make the crown, or parts of it, but don't have experience with making flexible things with the laser. I have seen laser-cut items with a "living hinge" (e.g. https://www.epiloglaser.com/resources/sample-club/living-hinge-laser-cutting.htm) but don't know the limits on that. I also don't know if you can paint the item and have it remain flexible. I want to paint the crown with a golden metallic spray paint.

Nathan

Chris Weiss

Oct 10, 2017, 3:35:20 PM10/10/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
cutting the end of a dowel with a dato blade would be find unruly without a  jig, which could be as simple as V notch in the edge of the 2x4 so that you can strap the dowel to it use the 2x4 against the fence to give some extra working room and keep the dowel from spinning/or twisting.

band saw might be difficult to keep straight, but would be easy if it doesn't need to be exactly smooth and you can caulk and paint it.

Derek Sigler

Oct 10, 2017, 3:56:11 PM10/10/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I'm bringing a fountain I want to get going.  Also, my fog bubble machine isn't working right now.  Pretty sure it just needs a good cleaning.  Maybe not tonight, but since we now have the CCRs running I want to take a motor controller and put it in a ghost flying on a zipline.

Nathan Schrenk

Oct 10, 2017, 4:36:49 PM10/10/17
to Arch Reactor
This is not exactly the same use case, but a similar jig/holders might work: http://www.finewoodworking.com/2007/07/01/cut-a-lengthwise-groove-in-a-dowel

But I think your suggestion is less complicated if I understand it correctly: affix the dowel to a 2x4 so it won't twist and then position the 2x4 against the fence. I like the idea of putting a couple screws through the dowel to fix it in place against the 2x4 since I'm not sure what sort of straps I would use for that task.

Nathan

On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 2:35 PM, Chris Weiss <cwe...@gmail.com> wrote:
cutting the end of a dowel with a dato blade would be find unruly without a  jig, which could be as simple as V notch in the edge of the 2x4 so that you can strap the dowel to it use the 2x4 against the fence to give some extra working room and keep the dowel from spinning/or twisting.

band saw might be difficult to keep straight, but would be easy if it doesn't need to be exactly smooth and you can caulk and paint it.

Robert Kleeschulte

Oct 10, 2017, 5:02:16 PM10/10/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
When I did a grove in the PVC pipe for the aquaponic system I had just tapped the pipe to one of the push triangles. It may work similar with some scrap wood and having the dowel attached to it to get your vertical cut that you need.

EschewObfuscation

Oct 10, 2017, 9:11:34 PM10/10/17
to Arch Reactor
On Tuesday, October 10, 2017 at 2:56:11 PM UTC-5, Derek wrote:
... but since we now have the CCRs running I want to take a motor controller and put it in a ghost flying on a zipline.

CCRs?

Travis Megee

Oct 10, 2017, 9:36:32 PM10/10/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Cardboard Combat Robots

Travis

EschewObfuscation

Oct 10, 2017, 10:01:26 PM10/10/17
to Arch Reactor
On Tuesday, October 10, 2017 at 8:36:32 PM UTC-5, Chankster wrote:
Cardboard Combat Robots

Travis

Ah, ty