Tools to make 1.5" hole in aluminum plate?

jimski...@gmail.com

Jul 9, 2016, 7:48:54 AM7/9/16
to Arch Reactor
Looking to put a 1.5" hole in 1/2" 6061 plate. It doesn't have to be accurately sized - just reasonably round and smooth. I could drill a smaller hole and use a jig saw but wondering what the space has that would be other options.

Myles Farrell

Jul 11, 2016, 9:34:42 AM7/11/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
we don't really have any options better than that either. sorry

On Sat, Jul 9, 2016 at 6:48 AM, <jimski...@gmail.com> wrote:
Looking to put a 1.5" hole in 1/2" 6061 plate.  It doesn't have to be accurately sized - just reasonably round and smooth.  I could drill a smaller hole and use a jig saw but wondering what the space has that would be other options.

jimski...@gmail.com

Jul 11, 2016, 11:01:55 PM7/11/16
to Arch Reactor
Thanks for getting back to me on that. I need to get my desktop CNC mill finished but that's not happening right away...

Myles Farrell

Jul 11, 2016, 11:12:47 PM7/11/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

Actually now that you mention it, the shapeoko should be able to do it. You'll have to take small steps and it will probably scream like a banshee, but it can probably do it. It will give you a good cut and save a lot of clean up work. I also have 3 flute 1/8th inch cutter for this. I  leave town wed for a week and the next time I'll be down there for a significant amount of time is the 24th. I can help you then if it isn't time critical.

Robert Kleeschulte

Jul 12, 2016, 1:32:19 PM7/12/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Can a hole saw work with aluminum?

On Monday, July 11, 2016, Myles Farrell <mylesmich...@gmail.com> wrote:

Actually now that you mention it, the shapeoko should be able to do it. You'll have to take small steps and it will probably scream like a banshee, but it can probably do it. It will give you a good cut and save a lot of clean up work. I also have 3 flute 1/8th inch cutter for this. I  leave town wed for a week and the next time I'll be down there for a significant amount of time is the 24th. I can help you then if it isn't time critical.

Sent from Gmail Mobile

EschewObfuscation

Jul 12, 2016, 8:46:09 PM7/12/16
to Arch Reactor
On Tuesday, July 12, 2016 at 12:32:19 PM UTC-5, ROB K wrote:
Can a hole saw work with aluminum?

In theory, one might, but I'd give 10:1 odds any hole saw you find lying about is carbon steel and likely has been overheated (detempered) by someone at some point. So I'd say "most likely not, in practical terms".) Hole saws struggle with wood, because of the large simultaneous contact area, so with any metal... With thinner stock, a fly cutter is a traditional approach.

As the proposed workpiece is 1/2" thick, an end mill would have to be at least 1/4" and preferably at least 3/8" to support the required length. I dunno if the shapeoko can handle a tool of that size, or that lateral loading. What you really want is a proper mill, with either cnc or a rotary table. I have a suitable rotary table I could bring in (in theory), but my mill isn't currently operable, nor do I likely have the required clamps. Maybe bolt holes through the cutaway area could clamp the piece adequately, but we'd still need access to a proper mill. I'd not recommend trying to put that sort of load on a drill press as its bearings aren't designed for that lateral load, but you might manage it if you go very very slowly.

Andrew Ricke

Jul 13, 2016, 10:01:38 AM7/13/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I would not try the shapeoko unless you have spare material for failures. My experience so far with aluminum has been rough at best on my upgraded machine.  Aluminum blobs so much that the cutter head will pull in other directions even when I used coolants and vaccuuming, 0.1 cutting depth, coated and un-coated cutter heads, 1-3 flutes, etc!

It just needs a lot more rigidity than the belts and small rails provide.

However, if you do find a sweet spot on the feed, speed, and bit choices, please let me know!

On Monday, July 11, 2016, Myles Farrell <mylesmich...@gmail.com> wrote:

Actually now that you mention it, the shapeoko should be able to do it. You'll have to take small steps and it will probably scream like a banshee, but it can probably do it. It will give you a good cut and save a lot of clean up work. I also have 3 flute 1/8th inch cutter for this. I  leave town wed for a week and the next time I'll be down there for a significant amount of time is the 24th. I can help you then if it isn't time critical.

nfolken

Jul 13, 2016, 11:24:40 AM7/13/16
to Arch Reactor
How big is the plate? If it is small and your hole will be in the center of mass, you could put it on a lathe and turn a hole in it.

Keith Rogers

Jul 13, 2016, 4:23:21 PM7/13/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I wouldn't hesitate to use a drill press and drill up to about 1/4 inch (or below hole saw pilot drill size) and then try a hole saw on a drill press.  Use plenty of cutting oil and slowest drill speed.  6061 machines nicely and a bimetal hole saw should hold up well.

On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 10:24 AM, nfolken <niels...@gmail.com> wrote:
How big is the plate? If it is small and your hole will be in the center of mass, you could put it on a lathe and turn a hole in it.

Jim S

Jul 14, 2016, 9:26:53 AM7/14/16
to Arch Reactor
Plate is 6" x 8".  I have a bimetal hole saw so will give that a try going slow and clearing frequently so I don't overheat it.

Andrew Ricke

Jul 14, 2016, 3:41:25 PM7/14/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Isopropyl alcohol is a good alternative coolant to squirt onto the bit if you don't want to use an oil and have a pool of it splashing everywhere.  It evaporates quickly taking the heat with it as it does.  Try not to sniff all of it up when it does :)

EschewObfuscation

Jul 14, 2016, 9:48:51 PM7/14/16
to Arch Reactor
For aluminum, WD40 is a traditional choice. I'd not use isopropyl unless I were working in a VERY well ventilated area, and even then, something else should be used for cutting lubrication.