vinyl cutter

Jacob Francois

Apr 21, 2016, 9:23:55 AM4/21/16
to Arch Reactor
Hello all,

     Has anyone ever used our vinyl cutter?  I have a project for it and assume it is similar in some ways to using the laser cutter but I was wondering if anyone was familiar with it and willing to fill me in on the basics either through the forum or in person.

with gratitude, Jacob

Chris Weiss

Apr 21, 2016, 9:51:57 AM4/21/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
a few of have, I've used it the most.  the software is ancient but functional.  if you have something existing the best way to get it in is to save it as a 2 color bitmap and do a trace.  it's not very obvious how to do that, but i can show you how.  the software does have a help file though.  if you're just doing text it's fairly easy to just use the text tool and write it in.

Travis Megee

Apr 21, 2016, 10:11:28 AM4/21/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I've had reasonably good luck with saving files as Illustrator version 3 and importing.

Travis

On Apr 21, 2016, at 08:51, Chris Weiss <cwe...@gmail.com> wrote:

a few of have, I've used it the most.  the software is ancient but functional.  if you have something existing the best way to get it in is to save it as a 2 color bitmap and do a trace.  it's not very obvious how to do that, but i can show you how.  the software does have a help file though.  if you're just doing text it's fairly easy to just use the text tool and write it in.

Jacob Francois

Apr 21, 2016, 2:58:14 PM4/21/16
to Arch Reactor
what software does it use?

Chris Weiss

Apr 21, 2016, 3:04:56 PM4/21/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I think it's called Vinyl Express.  it's made for the machine.

Jacob Francois

Apr 21, 2016, 3:30:42 PM4/21/16
to Arch Reactor
thanks guys that is super helpful.  I think I will give it a go.  If I hit any bumps in the road I will be certain to hit you up!

Chris Weiss

Apr 21, 2016, 3:32:48 PM4/21/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
let me know when you're ready to cut, there's some tricks to getting a good cut that are easier shown.

Diane

Apr 21, 2016, 3:52:45 PM4/21/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
It would be super-wonderful if, during this process of teaching and learning, you guys would begin to build a "how-to" instruction document.   Please!!

Diane  <*>

On Apr 21, 2016, at 2:32 PM, Chris Weiss <cwe...@gmail.com> wrote:

let me know when you're ready to cut, there's some tricks to getting a good cut that are easier shown.

EschewObfuscation

Apr 21, 2016, 3:54:17 PM4/21/16
to Arch Reactor
On Thursday, April 21, 2016 at 2:52:45 PM UTC-5, Diane Sudduth wrote:
It would be super-wonderful if, during this process of teaching and learning, you guys would begin to build a "how-to" instruction document.   Please!!

Diane  <*>

Um, webcam and tripod?

Diane

Apr 21, 2016, 5:27:32 PM4/21/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
No.   Written, published instructions.   Much along the lines of what we have for the laser.     And what we also need for the various 3D printers.   A reference guide for when you need something and an expert isn't around.  And for newbies to read so the experts don't get the same 10 annoying questions every single time.   Basic instructions and basic troubleshooting.

Diane  <*>

Jacob Francois

Apr 21, 2016, 5:33:43 PM4/21/16
to Arch Reactor
will do.. I planned on taking a cursory glance today about 530-6 but uh maybe we could plan a time this next week?

Jacob Francois

Apr 21, 2016, 5:34:48 PM4/21/16
to Arch Reactor
video usually takes more time than it gets credit for but I can certainly look into making something instructional

Chris Weiss

Apr 21, 2016, 8:33:37 PM4/21/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I'm terrible when it comes to docs.  especially when it's "hold this thingie like this, then push this thingie"

Andrew Ricke

Apr 21, 2016, 8:59:58 PM4/21/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Do it like IKEA. Just use a picture with labels so it's: "it's "hold this thingie A like this, then push this thingie B"

On Thursday, April 21, 2016, Chris Weiss <cwe...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm terrible when it comes to docs.  especially when it's "hold this thingie like this, then push this thingie"

Diane

Apr 21, 2016, 9:28:55 PM4/21/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Documents like this are iterative.  Start somewhere.  Others will add later.  Yes, the laser guide is nice now but there were probably 40 iterations/changes.

Just someone please Start!

Diane  <*>

Chris Hemmerly

Apr 22, 2016, 6:33:38 AM4/22/16
to Arch Reactor
Is there a wiki or something along the lines of that which can be used for documentation? Wikis are awesome as they're basically "living documents". Milwaukee Makerspace lives by its wiki. I'd be happy to help you guys set one up if you'd like.

Kamikaze Joe

Apr 22, 2016, 12:52:44 PM4/22/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
A wiki became too difficult to upkeep against spammers and such.
We do have a google docs and rely heavily on that.  There is no reason that a "living document" couldn't exist there.

---

Preserve your right to privacy.  When replying to this email, I encourage you to make use of PGP compliant encryption.  My key ID is A50DB9BC.

On Fri, Apr 22, 2016 at 5:33 AM, Chris Hemmerly <hemm...@gmail.com> wrote:
Is there a wiki or something along the lines of that which can be used for documentation? Wikis are awesome as they're basically "living documents". Milwaukee Makerspace lives by its wiki. I'd be happy to help you guys set one up if you'd like.

Chris Hemmerly

Apr 22, 2016, 1:13:22 PM4/22/16
to Arch Reactor
We solved that at MMS by requiring users to be able to edit.  Anyone could apply to be a user, and only the board of directors could add users. But that kept the general public/spammers from being able to edit pages. You can also site-ban if a particular user/person is abusing the page(s).

That said, I agree that a google doc would work just as well!

-Chris