Lathe Move

Myles Farrell

Apr 6, 2017, 11:42:20 PM4/6/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
So I have scheduled to move the metal lathe from the seller's property saturday. Because of it's weight and the wall being in place the intent is to have it picked up by flat bed wrecker and transported to our building, arriving at approximately noon. The wrecker should be able to back it right up to the rear roll up doors so we will only need to move it into the dirty shop. I have arranged for keith's skates and pry bar to be there so it shouldn't be too hard to move it, but having 3 or 4 other people  would help. Please post here if you might be able to help.

Frank Kallal

Apr 6, 2017, 11:44:55 PM4/6/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I will work to Free up my Saturday afternoon.  I may have a Couple kids with me, but i'm 75% percent chance for being there.

On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 10:42 PM, Myles Farrell <mylesmich...@gmail.com> wrote:
So I have scheduled to move the metal lathe from the seller's property saturday. Because of it's weight and the wall being in place the intent is to have it picked up by flat bed wrecker and transported to our building, arriving at approximately noon. The wrecker should be able to back it right up to the rear roll up doors so we will only need to move it into the dirty shop. I have arranged for keith's skates and pry bar to be there so it shouldn't be too hard to move it, but having 3 or 4 other people  would help. Please post here if you might be able to help.

EschewObfuscation

Apr 7, 2017, 2:20:54 AM4/7/17
to Arch Reactor
We're getting a big lathe? First I've heard of it, woohoo! What are we getting? Can it chuck up a 5" workpiece? What sort of toolholder? machine-pron details, please?

Jim S

Apr 7, 2017, 7:54:42 AM4/7/17
to Arch Reactor
The truck is what they call a "rollback"?  Short notice but I may be able to make it.  Do you need help at pickup site and what time would that be?  Need to get a better idea of the times as I have some other things I need to get done too.

Kevin

Apr 7, 2017, 7:57:07 AM4/7/17
to Arch Reactor
I'll be there

EschewObfuscation

Apr 7, 2017, 8:54:18 AM4/7/17
to Arch Reactor
I have a machinist's level. Would that be needed on Saturday?

Amberly Brown

Apr 7, 2017, 9:26:46 AM4/7/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Mike and I plan to be there.

Amberly

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 6:57 AM, Kevin <kev...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'll be there

Myles Farrell

Apr 7, 2017, 9:28:59 AM4/7/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Couldn't hurt. The floor certainly isn't level.

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 7:54 AM, EschewObfuscation <google...@mailfilter.33mail.com> wrote:
I have a machinist's level. Would that be needed on Saturday?

Myles Farrell

Apr 7, 2017, 9:45:38 AM4/7/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
it is a south bend 117c. This translates into a 16 in swing with 36 inches between centers.

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 8:28 AM, Myles Farrell <mylesmich...@gmail.com> wrote:
Couldn't hurt. The floor certainly isn't level.

Chris Weiss

Apr 7, 2017, 9:59:57 AM4/7/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
do you have a time frame estimate?

EschewObfuscation

Apr 7, 2017, 10:07:39 AM4/7/17
to Arch Reactor
On Friday, April 7, 2017 at 8:28:59 AM UTC-5, Myles Farrell wrote:
Couldn't hurt. The floor certainly isn't level.

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 7:54 AM, EschewObfuscation <google...@mailfilter.33mail.com> wrote:
I have a machinist's level. Would that be needed on Saturday?

Well, even if the floor were perfect, setup requires the bed be levelled. I guess I should have phrased it "do we plan to do that level of detail on Saturday?"

Myles Farrell

Apr 7, 2017, 2:31:55 PM4/7/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
The tentative timeline right now is for me to meet Ron and the tow truck at his house at 11 am. With the roll back we shouldn't need any more help there. It should be as easy as dragging it out of the garage onto the truck with the winch and securing it, but if anyone lives out that way and wants to stop by on the way to the space PM me for the address. I think loading and the drive to the space will take right about an hour arriving at noon. Since they can change the height of the truck they should be able to back right up to the rear doors at the correct height, allowing us to put the skates and wheeled pry bar under it and roll it off. I expect it will take us an hour, hopefully less.

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 8:59 AM, Chris Weiss <cwe...@gmail.com> wrote:
do you have a time frame estimate?

Frank Kallal

Apr 7, 2017, 2:37:33 PM4/7/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I will be there.. and I have a Couple Friends Meeting me to hang out and Visit, that will help out as well.

Myles Farrell

Apr 7, 2017, 2:40:13 PM4/7/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Also don't forget Niels is leading a build day tomorrow as well, if anyone wants to go to the space before the lathe move or hang around after to help, i'm sure he would appreciate it.

EschewObfuscation

Apr 7, 2017, 9:22:34 PM4/7/17
to Arch Reactor
Dunno if I can make it, but... should we all plan on not parking along the driveway in... try to stay out of the path a clumsy wrecker will use? Or do you feel there's sufficient space to not worry about that?

Myles Farrell

Apr 8, 2017, 12:47:07 PM4/8/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
About 30 min out. If any one has a floor jack that worked well

Chris Weiss

Apr 8, 2017, 3:43:12 PM4/8/17
to Arch Reactor
Pictures!