Fire and Ice Projects and help volunteering

Derek Sigler

Feb 10, 2017, 10:33:05 AM2/10/17
to Arch Reactor
Fire and Ice, our big fundraiser of the year is just over a week away!
I'm asking people to do 3 things to help!

1) We need more volunteers like working the front tables or the art auction.  Please sign up for a 1 hour shift!  To be guaranteed a mug and name badge you MUST signup by Saturday 2/11!!!  Here's the link:

2)  Tuesday night's meeting is to work on Fire and Ice projects!  Sadly, it is also Valentine's Day and several people may not be able to make it.  PLEASE put some time into a project to demo or share!  In the past is has also helped to write up a one page summary of the project.

3)  There's also an art/anything auction.  Feel free to drop anything you like into the auction.  On AR's counter there's "Bid Sheets" where you can give a short description and set a minimum bid if desired.  Pick up a bid sheet, fill it out and bring it with your item to Fire and Ice.  Outside of Art in the past we've also had Arduino Kits, electronic measurement equipment and even helpful books.

Robert Kleeschulte

Feb 10, 2017, 10:55:33 AM2/10/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Depending on how much time I have available I have few projects for the art auction. I have decided that the wooden combo lock is up for auction this year (I can always make another later), a Viking knit necklace (colored copper wire) and hoping for stuff to come in the mail for a bigger long term project I have been having ideas with.

Diane

Feb 10, 2017, 11:14:04 AM2/10/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
By Sunday evening there will be a collection box at AR for your art auction items.  Please wrap/package items for safe transport and attach a bid sheet.

My own items this year include a mini robot quilt, two pysanky eggs, and kitty toys.

Diane  <*>

Chris Weiss

Feb 10, 2017, 11:35:27 AM2/10/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
if someone has, or wants to make, a brightly colored scene to put inside the LCD display box I had running Tuesday I'll gladly add your name to the project's tag.  otherwise I'll probably just print something off last minute.  you can have the art back if you want after F&I.

Diane

Feb 10, 2017, 12:19:38 PM2/10/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
What are the parameters for the scene, Chris?   Would my eggs be suitable?   They are brightly colored!  Can get you actual eggs or color prints or ???

Diane  <*>

On Feb 10, 2017, at 10:35 AM, Chris Weiss <cwe...@gmail.com> wrote:

if someone has, or wants to make, a brightly colored scene to put inside the LCD display box I had running Tuesday I'll gladly add your name to the project's tag.  otherwise I'll probably just print something off last minute.  you can have the art back if you want after F&I.

Chris Weiss

Feb 10, 2017, 12:21:52 PM2/10/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I don't have the measurements, I was thinking something 2D, but 3D could be interesting.  it's a 15" monitor panel if that helps.

Diane

Feb 10, 2017, 12:27:23 PM2/10/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
When will you be at AR next?  There's a container of eggs in the space, next to my loom on the front shelves.    Or I can see about printing you an image to use...

Diane  <*>

Morganism

Feb 10, 2017, 12:32:40 PM2/10/17
to Arch Reactor, derek...@yahoo.com
If you want an egg, I can bring the fire egg I made. Hopefully it won't break. Seems appropriate.

Chris Weiss

Feb 10, 2017, 2:48:24 PM2/10/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I dont' know for sure, the box is there, may still be hooked to the laptop.

Chris Weiss

Feb 16, 2017, 11:27:08 AM2/16/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Saturday Schedule:

12-3PM - meet at AR for Final prep and car loading.  You may load up, leave, and come to Nebula later.
3PM-4PM - we get access to Nebula, load in and setup starts..
4PM-6PM - final setup, first front desk shift start at 5PM to get setup and register the early volunteers.
6PM - events starts.  Try to have all projects running by 6!
6PM-1AM - Have some fun!
1AM -2AM - teardown, load out, clean up.  We need to be out by 1:30AM and cleaned up by 2AM.

We need to take a bunch of our folding tables and some chairs.

Extra power strips and extension cords are always helpful, mark your stuff so we can make sure you get ti back!

gaffers tape (not duct tape) is also very handy.

See you there!

Di

Feb 16, 2017, 11:29:54 AM2/16/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
There are about 30 or so metal folding chairs free for the asking over at Game Nite if someone wants to stop by and pick up some/all.   We borrowed lots of these chairs last year and they came in handy.

Diane  <*>

mbier...@firehydrantmobile.com

Feb 16, 2017, 5:51:24 PM2/16/17
to Arch Reactor, derek...@yahoo.com
Hello Fellow Hackers,

As yo volunteered to repair the Fire Tornado for the upcoming Fire and Ice event.

http:///laduecoalition.com/ar/firetornado.mov
http:///laduecoalition.com/ar/firetornado.png

I have finished fixing the FIRE TORNADO, it now has a plexiglass base, an integrated power supply, and a power switch. The base for the paint can of flames is now integrated into the platform so we no longer have the can spinning off into the side, spilling all of the fire.

Not able to leave well enough alone, I had to add a sexy leather top cover to the base, and install multicolor programmable LEDs (UV included, can anyone say blacklight) behind the plexiglass. There is even a RF remote.

All I have left is to label the powerswitch (Power) and remind you all that the powerswitch is hot glued in, so do not smash it, gently press it, and the cylinder will start to spin. And velcrow the remote to the base so it does not get lost. I tried to find a label maker that had ribbon but could not.

To much fun was had on this project.

Sadly I will not be able to attend the event, as I will be traveling again.

Good Luck!!!

I am borrowing a small TV shown below to install surveillance cameras. If you guys are going to use this at the event on Saturday, I will bring it back, otherwise I will get it back on Tues or Wed. PLEASE CALL ME AS I DO NOT WATCH THIS FOURM.

http:///laduecoalition.com/ar/tv.jpg
http:///laduecoalition.com/ar/tv1.jpg

Mark Biernacki
314-504-3999

Chris Weiss

Feb 16, 2017, 5:59:07 PM2/16/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com, derek...@yahoo.com
awesome!  now we just need to make sure to bring TP and 90% IPA

Robert Kleeschulte

Feb 16, 2017, 6:05:48 PM2/16/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Good Job!

Looks like you found a use for that gaudy leather I brought in. That is a Boston Proper remnants for a couch that was made from a rug. Real gold silver paint splotches.
https://nrf.com/sites/default/files/Images/News/Boston_Proper_Boutique_4.jpg

Diane

Feb 17, 2017, 12:28:35 AM2/17/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I added the Velcro to the remote and the back of the base so it wouldn't get lost.

Rob, I noticed the leather the other day and when Mark said he wanted to put something on the top of the base I couldn't resist!    The rest is rolled and back where I'd found it, on the floor vaguely under the Griffin.

When putting the leather back I spotted a digital caliper on the floor so put it on the table.  Pretty sure it needs a new battery.

Diane  <*>

Mark Biernacki

Morganism

Feb 17, 2017, 11:03:12 AM2/17/17
to Arch Reactor, derek...@yahoo.com
There should be enough of both for one night still there. Does anyone know a good place to get a gallon of the good stuff? (90% isopropyl alcohol--needs to be 90% isopropyl)

Morganism

Feb 17, 2017, 11:05:04 AM2/17/17
to Arch Reactor, derek...@yahoo.com
Yeah! Thank you Mark!

Mark Biernacki

Feb 17, 2017, 11:11:18 AM2/17/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
There is a can, on the cart by the front door along with the steel handle and there is TP in it. All you need is the IPA

Morganism

Feb 17, 2017, 11:13:18 AM2/17/17
to Arch Reactor, mbier...@firehydrantmobile.com
Lol, I know. I am tired of wiping every grocery store and pharmacy I go to. Was hoping to get a stock bottle.

Frank Kallal

Feb 17, 2017, 11:52:43 AM2/17/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com, mbier...@firehydrantmobile.com
Walmart sell the 90% stuff... I get it on occasion for Laser Clean up.  but it' the standard Bottle size.  I can get some and Brng it with me it you need tomorrow

Morganism

Frank Kallal

Feb 17, 2017, 1:01:57 PM2/17/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com, mbier...@firehydrantmobile.com
i live 1.5 miles from Walmart, and have fallin into the unfortunate habit of just running there when i need something.  I'm sure i'll be there at least one before F&I starts

Xsfx2000

Feb 17, 2017, 1:55:17 PM2/17/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

Because off my current recovery, I'm not able to travel/volunteer. However, I'd like to purchase a ticket, and purchase a volunteer badge. If someone can name that price, I'd be glad to pay that the next time I am by. (Or through some online method.)
Sorry to interrupt.
Miss you all.
-Lloyd

EschewObfuscation

Feb 17, 2017, 5:26:43 PM2/17/17
to Arch Reactor
70% vs 90% shouldn't matter for this application at all.

The old term for the following procedure is called "salting out", a chemist calls it "breaking the azeotrope". Common table salt is an azeotrope breaker for water and isopropyl.

The procedure is simple: dump an excess of salt into a bottle of isopropyl. Shake, set aside. In a couple of minutes you will see it separate into 3 layers: solid surplus salt at the bottom, a cloudy liquid next, that's saturated salt water. And crystal clear pure isopropyl above. Simply pour off the pure IPA. Done.

FWIW, Walgreens always has multiple quart bottles of IPA. $3, 70% IIRC. $2 for a pint of 90%. That price bump is the ignorance-of-chemistry tax.

Chris Weiss

Feb 17, 2017, 7:25:07 PM2/17/17
to Arch Reactor
I'll bring some salt to the space, we have way too much 50%, so it's worth a shot.

Chris Weiss

Feb 18, 2017, 1:46:35 PM2/18/17
to Arch Reactor

I'll be at the space by 2

Chris Weiss

Feb 18, 2017, 3:25:54 PM2/18/17
to Arch Reactor

Someone else will be here by 3 right?

Frank Kallal

Feb 18, 2017, 3:50:37 PM2/18/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I'm heading there now, eta. 15 min

On Feb 18, 2017 2:25 PM, "Chris Weiss" <cwe...@gmail.com> wrote:

Someone else will be here by 3 right?

On Sat, Feb 18, 2017, 12:46 PM Chris Weiss <cwe...@gmail.com> wrote:

I'll be at the space by 2

On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 4:26 PM EschewObfuscation <googlegroups@mailfilter.33mail.com> wrote:
70% vs 90% shouldn't matter for this application at all.

The old term for the following procedure is called "salting out", a chemist calls it "breaking the azeotrope". Common table salt is an azeotrope breaker for water and isopropyl.

The procedure is simple: dump an excess of salt into a bottle of isopropyl. Shake, set aside. In a couple of minutes you will see it separate into 3 layers: solid surplus salt at the bottom, a cloudy liquid next, that's saturated salt water. And crystal clear pure isopropyl above. Simply pour off the pure IPA. Done.

FWIW, Walgreens always has multiple quart bottles of IPA. $3, 70% IIRC. $2 for a pint of 90%. That price bump is the ignorance-of-chemistry tax.

Morgan Miransky

Feb 18, 2017, 5:44:01 PM2/18/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

Chris Weiss

Feb 19, 2017, 10:22:03 AM2/19/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
From Melonie, the burner's art auction lead

my gratitude for their donations to the art auction. That was really some KILLER work. I ended up winning one of the Mario pieces, I love it. I will total up the bid sheets and see where we're at as far at money taken. The cash part alone was almost $400. And most people paid by card. Thanks for all of your work and for donating to the art auction this year. AR really BROUGHT IT!

Nathan Schrenk

Feb 19, 2017, 2:03:32 PM2/19/17
to Arch Reactor
If I won any of the items in the auction, will I be contacted for payment? I had to leave before the bid sheets were processed. Or should I assume I just got outbid on everything because I haven't been contacted?

Nathan

On Sun, Feb 19, 2017 at 9:21 AM, Chris Weiss <cwe...@gmail.com> wrote:
From Melonie, the burner's art auction lead

my gratitude for their donations to the art auction. That was really some KILLER work. I ended up winning one of the Mario pieces, I love it. I will total up the bid sheets and see where we're at as far at money taken. The cash part alone was almost $400. And most people paid by card. Thanks for all of your work and for donating to the art auction this year. AR really BROUGHT IT!

Kamikaze Joe

Feb 19, 2017, 3:30:28 PM2/19/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Nathan,

Actually I recall people looking for you because you won something.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong and needlessly getting his hopes up.

--
---

Preserve your right to privacy. When replying to this email, I encourage you to make use of PGP compliant encryption. My key ID is A50DB9BC.

Nathan Schrenk

Feb 19, 2017, 4:17:10 PM2/19/17
to Arch Reactor
I'd be happy to have won anything I bid on! If someone reading this knows what I won, or how I should pay for it, please get in touch!

My email address is nat...@schrenk.org .

Nathan

Di

Feb 19, 2017, 5:15:45 PM2/19/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Wonderful News!   I'm so sad to have missed the auction and the rest of the party!    We got back LATE and I was EXHAUSTED.

I don't suppose anyone knows if the baby quilt sold or how much it sold for?

Am curious to know how the cookoff went and if my cookies were popular.  :-)

Diane  <*>

Frank Kallal

Feb 19, 2017, 5:44:21 PM2/19/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
@Nathan,  You won several Items. i'm not sure which ones.  they have your Contact infor and will be sending you Information

Nathan Schrenk

Feb 19, 2017, 10:22:33 PM2/19/17
to Arch Reactor
Diane,

Your cookies were popular. I believe the 1st place winning entry in the cookoff was the amazing tacos. The tacos were delicious, and they also made a large amount so were still serving them long after the rest of the entries had been devoured, so just by longevity the tacos might have been expected to win.

There were not as many entries in the cookoff as previous years: I hope we can figure out how to boost cookoff participation next year. Anecdotally I heard the lack of pre-registration for the cookoff might have hurt participation.

Your robot baby quilt definitely sold. I don't know how much it fetched, but I remember seeing $50, $60, and $70 bids, and then I think I bid on it after that.

Nathan

Nathan Schrenk

Feb 21, 2017, 1:51:55 PM2/21/17
to Arch Reactor
I still haven't heard anything about which auction items I won or how to pay for them and pick them up. Anyone have an email address for the person in charge of that?

Nathan

Robert Kleeschulte

Feb 21, 2017, 3:36:06 PM2/21/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I am interesting in knowing what the items I gave for the auction went for. The 3/8 thick stainless steel coasters, "power cell", and the wooden lock. I as trying to see but was also the ATM from 10 to 12

Chris Weiss

Feb 21, 2017, 11:00:29 PM2/21/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Nathan, I'm told worst case Thursday.

Rob: we haven't gotten a detail report in the past, but if someone is willing to transcribe the bid slips I can see if they are available.

Di

Feb 22, 2017, 12:25:31 AM2/22/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
There actually was a detailed breakdown last year...

On Tue, Feb 21, 2017 at 10:00 PM, Chris Weiss <cwe...@gmail.com> wrote:
Nathan, I'm told worst case Thursday.

Rob: we haven't gotten a detail report in the past, but if someone is willing to transcribe the bid slips I can see if they are available.

Diane  <*>

Chris Weiss

Feb 22, 2017, 9:00:53 AM2/22/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
of the auction bids?  it's not in either of the normal document storage locations, and I don't remember it (which is not any indication that it didn't happen)

Derek Sigler

Feb 22, 2017, 9:42:23 AM2/22/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Not sure it was uploaded last year,  but I did see the spreadsheet with items, description, winning bidder, winning dollars and email.

Mark Biernacki

Feb 23, 2017, 10:22:36 AM2/23/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Greetings, I am finally back in town for a few days. I wanted to hear how the fire tornado worked at fire and ice, and if there was any improvements that I could make to it. I was hoping to engrave the way our logo on a piece of plastic on the front. Do we have an ETA on the parts for the laser engraver?

Mark Biernacki

On Feb 22, 2017, at 8:42 AM, 'Derek Sigler' via Arch Reactor <arch-r...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Not sure it was uploaded last year,  but I did see the spreadsheet with items, description, winning bidder, winning dollars and email.

Chris Weiss

Feb 23, 2017, 10:27:45 AM2/23/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
it worked pretty great!  2 improvements I can think of:

- power the lights separate so they can be on when the motor isn't.
- add something to "pulse" the motor, so it can be on for a bit then stop, automatically, to show passers by that the spinning is actually doing a thing.

the first may be easier with the 2nd done as the PSU could then remain on all the time, with a different switch to override the motor logic so you can stop it.

Chris Weiss

Feb 23, 2017, 10:28:35 AM2/23/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
oh, it's currently in the storage closet that's to the left of the kitchen area, if you're looking for it.