Vinyl cutter?

Jim S

Apr 20, 2018, 9:11:27 AM4/20/18
to Arch Reactor
I think we have a vinyl cutter.  What's the status?  Working?  Is there a guide somewhere that talks about format of files needed, etc?  What about material - does the space have any and, if so, what colors and are small amounts fair game for projects?  I take it the material has adhesive and a backing material?  I don't know much about this but want to give it a try.

Nathan Schrenk

Apr 20, 2018, 10:03:30 AM4/20/18
to Arch Reactor
There is a vinyl cutter in the space. It has previously been sitting next to the laser cutter computer, but it may have been moved recently. I don't know how to use it, and have never seen it in use.

Nathan

On Fri, Apr 20, 2018 at 8:11 AM, Jim S <jimski...@gmail.com> wrote:
I think we have a vinyl cutter.  What's the status?  Working?  Is there a guide somewhere that talks about format of files needed, etc?  What about material - does the space have any and, if so, what colors and are small amounts fair game for projects?  I take it the material has adhesive and a backing material?  I don't know much about this but want to give it a try.

Frank Kallal

Chris Weiss

Apr 20, 2018, 10:21:48 AM4/20/18
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
we have 2.  the older one that is setup and a few of us know how to use, and a newer one in the storage closet that's unknown.  the older one is isn't hooked up right now, but it's just a DB25 serial port, and the PC setup for it is with the laser PC.  the blue KVM switch there switches the PCs

the software is quite old but can take EPS and DXF and other formats, but it's very picky about file format versions.  the older the better is my experience, but I rarely get either to do what I want.  usually I do a 2 color bitmap trace (has to be saved as 2-color bmp, MSPaint can do that conversion), or just draw it in the software.

there is some vinyl there in a few colors, most of it is pretty old which means it'll be harder to weed (remove the bits you don't want) and won't last as long when you stick it.  one of the rolls is iron on stuff, so watch for that.

the basic process to cut is thus:
- take Offline (online button toggles)
- load vinyl on rollers
- do a test cut (button in offline mode)
- adjust force (also a button) if needed and test again
- use arrows to set where you want to start and press origin (a button again, I think it's called origin)
- put Online
- in software, cut/plot
- remove and cut off from roll.

the cut/plot screen lets you mirror and rotate, set multiple copies, spacing, etc, and has a "show me" button that moves the cut head around to show the box that the cut will be inside of.  you can do multiple cuts across with different items just by resetting the origin.

to stick, you need to use transfer tape.  this sticks to the non-sticky side of the vinyl so you can remove the backing and position it in one shot.  there's a big roll somewhere, but masking tape works in a pinch.

about the only thing you can do that would hurt the cutter is put the force too high and carve up the backing strip, so as long as you don't do that, experiment away.

as stated, it is kinda finicky.  there are cases where it'll get data stuck in the buffer between cuts, or if you send a cut when it's not online, I think there's a button to clear it, but a power cycle and/or restarting the program or PC always works.  If you need to power cycle, it's best to close the cut window and look for a helper window and close it too to cleanly close the serial connection.

Jim S

Apr 20, 2018, 6:16:49 PM4/20/18
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Any tips on where to get material if I want new or different colors?

Frank Kallal

Apr 20, 2018, 7:15:50 PM4/20/18
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
@Jim

I have an Account at JDS and Can Order stuff from there if you like.   I know very little about Vinyl though So ther than Linking the Catalogue, and Placing an order, I'll be no help :)

JDS Sign Catalogue.
https://drjds.com/flipbooks/signcat17_np/html5forpc.html?page=0

Frank

On Fri, Apr 20, 2018, 9:21 AM Chris Weiss <cwe...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Chris Weiss

Apr 20, 2018, 9:00:05 PM4/20/18
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I've always gotten it at sign warehouse, but there's plenty of sellers out there.  unless you have specific extreme requirements any brand will likely do.

Jim S

Apr 22, 2018, 9:10:44 AM4/22/18
to Arch Reactor
Thanks.  Just getting started to figure my way around the details.

RJSign is a local place someone else uses.  RJSign and sign warehouse have some claims of lifetime ranging from about 3 years to 6 years outdoor.  If that is real is unknown but the price for the 6 year stuff is reasonable so will probably go with something like that.  I wasn't able to find any life claims at JDS.

Chris Weiss

Apr 22, 2018, 1:14:14 PM4/22/18
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
the age claims are to do with who's actually making the material and the grading they give it..

Frank Kallal

Apr 22, 2018, 1:30:48 PM4/22/18
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Yep age would totally depend on the environment it was used in, etc.

On Sun, Apr 22, 2018, 12:14 PM Chris Weiss <cwe...@gmail.com> wrote:
the age claims are to do with who's actually making the material and the grading they give it..

Jim S

Apr 22, 2018, 2:48:51 PM4/22/18
to Arch Reactor
Yes, I realize that the claims are just that - claims.  YMMV and all that.  And what one company claims as 6 years may not be equal to some other material claimed to be 6 year.  Those are claimed life "outdoor" but don't mention any standard testing, at least that I saw, and would vary depending on temp, solar exposure, etc.  My only real point was that if a company has a product that is stated as 3 year and the same company (manufacturer) has one stated as 6 year that the 6 year would be better and, if the price difference is fairly small (again subjective to what someone considers small) that I would probably go for the better material.

Some would go on vehicle glass so the environment is fairly severe.

Diane Sudduth

Dec 2, 2018, 8:28:53 PM12/2/18
to Arch Reactor
Since this thread opened I know that a few others have learned about the vinyl cutter.   Is anyone available to help me out either tonight or on Tuesday?   I have a project that's got a fairly tight time constraint.

I have the artwork, the vinyl, and transfer tape (thank you, Jacob!)     I've played with the software myself and have not been able to get a clean image to import into the software.

Please help!

Thanks!

Diane  <*>

Diane

Dec 3, 2018, 2:02:40 AM12/3/18
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Between Sam and Tony we found another way to accomplish the project.  But at some point I would like to know about the vinyl cutter...

Diane  <*>

Jim S

Dec 3, 2018, 1:51:53 PM12/3/18
to Arch Reactor
Maybe someone could do a class.  I would be interested...

Chris Weiss

Dec 3, 2018, 1:55:35 PM12/3/18
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I've led a class in the past. I'm willing to again. but this time
I'd like someone to document it and write it up. I've used the thing
for so many years that I no longer realize what's not obvious on how
to use it, a guide needs a fresh perspective.

Jim S

Dec 27, 2018, 5:20:48 PM12/27/18
to Arch Reactor
I would be willing to write up the guide and think they are a huge help to people, not just those who haven't used the equipment before but also those who only use it occasionally and may not remember all the details. I have something I would like to use it for too.  Just need to figure out a time that works which shouldn't be too hard.

Or have those interested already been shown the ropes?

Chris Weiss

Dec 27, 2018, 5:50:32 PM12/27/18
to Arch Reactor
it's on the calendar for Jan22 already.

Jim S

Jan 1, 2019, 10:08:31 AM1/1/19
to Arch Reactor
Great!  I will bring a video cam that will help me get all the details into the notes on operation.

Frank Kallal

Jan 14, 2019, 10:42:50 PM1/14/19
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Jim,

 is this the thread you are looking for

Fk

Jim S

Jan 18, 2019, 7:43:13 AM1/18/19
to Arch Reactor
Anyone know of sources for mesh vinyl cutter material or how the process is done?  Have seen it some places and thinking the material may be premade as a mesh before cutout.  It could be part of the cutout process I suppose but the weeding would be LOTS of work.

Chris Weiss

Jan 18, 2019, 11:17:20 AM1/18/19
to Arch Reactor
mesh would be hard to cut since it's a pressure based cutting system.
as it goes on and off the mesh it'll keep pressing and cut through the
backing. if you get it to cut OK it would be very hard on the teflon
cutting strip. if you want to try that, it would be good to have a
backup strip on hand, we currently do not have one.