Windows 10 upgrade

Chris Weiss

Jul 31, 2015, 10:03:40 AM7/31/15
to Arch Reactor
anyone done it?  any software issues, especially related to arduino, cad, and 3d printing?

George Fetters

Jul 31, 2015, 10:19:10 AM7/31/15
to Arch Reactor
I did it. It's fast. Edge is good too but a little minimal. No issues w the upgrade. It setup all my hardware except for my razor ouroboros. Had to reinstall that.

It defaults to invade all your privacy so do the custom install.
On Fri, Jul 31, 2015 at 9:03 AM Chris Weiss <cwe...@gmail.com> wrote:
anyone done it?  any software issues, especially related to arduino, cad, and 3d printing?

Robert Kleeschulte

Jul 31, 2015, 10:26:42 AM7/31/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
With the insider previews I know Doug has been using it for a good amount of time and I started using it a few months ago. I like it. It has the feel of 7 in layout with a few ideas thrown in from 8, but had just a few issues related to the laptop because of manufacture software being weird.

I have not had any issues with the 3d printing using cura.

On 7/31/15 9:03 AM, Chris Weiss wrote:
anyone done it?  any software issues, especially related to arduino, cad, and 3d printing?

Ryan Williams

Jul 31, 2015, 10:58:50 AM7/31/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I'm looking for someone to comment on joystick support before I switch entirely myself, but I like everything else I've heard about it so far.

Doug

Jul 31, 2015, 10:04:53 PM7/31/15
to Arch Reactor
If you can run Win8.1, you can probably run 10.
I say that because there are quite a few Core I5's that can;t run 8.1 ore Win10 (like my Bamboo).

As for upgrades,
I did my desktop onto the beta one version too soon and had to go back to Win7, the next beta fixed the problem I had. My tablet liked it, but then it failed and I had to return it, and the company was not nice about it, so I left 8.1 on the new one for the time being. My other laptop, as Rob said has been on it for a while.

Works great.
If you can use it, I would recommend it.

Chris Weiss

Aug 1, 2015, 12:46:04 AM8/1/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
upgrade went OK, having GUI performance issues though.  lots of mouse lag and scrolling lag.

George Fetters

Aug 1, 2015, 8:06:02 AM8/1/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Do you have an Nvidia display driver?  I saw something about this the other day.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/windows-10-how-fix-nvidia-driver-issues-after-upgrade-1513643

On Fri, Jul 31, 2015 at 11:45 PM, Chris Weiss <cwe...@gmail.com> wrote:
upgrade went OK, having GUI performance issues though.  lots of mouse lag and scrolling lag.

Chris Weiss

Aug 1, 2015, 8:19:32 PM8/1/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

No,  yoga 2pro.   Reports are pointing at problem in the power management

Chris Weiss

Aug 1, 2015, 9:30:45 PM8/1/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
disabling DPTF in the bios fixed it.  I expect I'll get worse battery life, we'll see.

Ben West

Aug 10, 2015, 10:30:03 AM8/10/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
For those following Windows 10 upgrade events, I believe I can confirm that the "bittorrent-like" p2p feature Win10 uses to distribute updates to other machines within a LAN apparently is bittorrent.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07/31/windows_10_torrent_updates/

I recently observed the bittorent filters used on the public WasabiNet hotspots trigger on a user who was installing the Win10 upgrade (and who swears to not having any torrent clients installed).  These filters search for protocol signatures, raising flags only when the literal string "BitTorrent protocol" is found.

Robert Kleeschulte

Aug 10, 2015, 10:46:22 AM8/10/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I have a issue just recently now with my desktop. i7 4770k, gigabyte ud4h, 8gb RAM, 2) GTX 660 3gb in SLI

Can't right click on task manager items and gives a critical error when clicking on start menu.

"Critical Error:  Your start menu isn't working.  We'll try to fix it the next time you sign in."

I'm seeing same issues from others but not a solution or ideas for fix that works.

Sent from Gmail Mobile

Aaron Ward

Aug 10, 2015, 4:58:37 PM8/10/15
to Arch Reactor
Installed W10 on a Q6600 / Asus P5EVM HDMI. Graphics are nVidia 220 GT.
No problems with Arduino 1.6.4 or Solidworks '14. I am impressed with how snappy the feel of the OS is.

Robert Kleeschulte

Aug 10, 2015, 5:11:22 PM8/10/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
My desktop was having little issues to begin with. It's dragging ass on simple things now with win 10 hoped it might have fixed the thee issues with installing

EschewObfuscation

Aug 10, 2015, 6:24:40 PM8/10/15
to Arch Reactor
On Monday, August 10, 2015 at 3:58:37 PM UTC-5, Aaron Ward wrote:
Installed W10 on a Q6600 / Asus P5EVM HDMI. Graphics are nVidia 220 GT.
No problems with Arduino 1.6.4 or Solidworks '14. I am impressed with how snappy the feel of the OS is.

Fresh installs tend to do that, regardless. I recall hearing similar happy noises from a beta tester calling in to Tech TV, back in the day. Praising Windows ME. :)

Keith Rogers

Aug 11, 2015, 1:10:34 PM8/11/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
The Screensavers??

Sent from my mobile device

EschewObfuscation

Aug 11, 2015, 8:27:16 PM8/11/15
to Arch Reactor
On Tuesday, August 11, 2015 at 12:10:34 PM UTC-5, phoglite wrote:
The Screensavers??

Yes :)

Yakko Warner

Aug 12, 2015, 12:58:36 PM8/12/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

Only if that show was still on. :-\

Robert Kleeschulte

Aug 12, 2015, 4:33:36 PM8/12/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
The old TechTV before it became G4. Then I could not watch it anymore afterwords because of TV package.

EschewObfuscation

Aug 12, 2015, 8:18:49 PM8/12/15
to Arch Reactor
On Wednesday, August 12, 2015 at 3:33:36 PM UTC-5, ROB K wrote:
The old TechTV before it became G4. Then I could not watch it anymore afterwords because of TV package.

I could. Did for a brief time. You didn't miss anything; they wrecked the whole channel. "Attack of the Show"? That show name didn't even make any sense.

Brad Tissi

Aug 14, 2015, 8:38:51 AM8/14/15
to Arch Reactor
I stopped watching soon after the G4/TechTV "partnership". It went downhill from there pretty quickly.

Kamikaze Joe

Aug 14, 2015, 11:46:49 AM8/14/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

---

Preserve your right to privacy.  When replying to this email, I encourage you to make use of PGP compliant encryption.  My key ID is A50DB9BC.

On Fri, Aug 14, 2015 at 7:38 AM, Brad Tissi <bti...@gmail.com> wrote:
I stopped watching soon after the G4/TechTV "partnership". It went downhill from there pretty quickly.

Brad Tissi

Aug 14, 2015, 12:55:01 PM8/14/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Ahahahaha, it's back? Welcome to the internet.

Frank Kallal

Aug 14, 2015, 3:37:39 PM8/14/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
woo I bow to the amazing Joe.. :)  great find

George Fetters

Aug 14, 2015, 4:53:19 PM8/14/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Whaaaaat? There goes my weekend.

Tom Blevins

Aug 16, 2015, 9:04:25 PM8/16/15
to Arch Reactor
The upgrade to windows 10 went very well for me but now firefox + flash + and windows 10 has an issue and is very frustrating.