Name that event

Morganism

Nov 2, 2017, 9:51:40 AM11/2/17
to Arch Reactor
As discussed at the last Business Meeting, I am starting a regular metal working event based on this even from the Staton Island Makerspace:

There are going to be some differences.

First, it is going to be open to everyone, not just women. (Women are always welcome)
Secondly, it is not going to be a class to start. It is going to be more Hack Something with metal.
Third, It is not going to be a wine tasting at the end. I will provide some beer, but whatever beverages people want to bring to enjoy after the metal working are welcome.

Here is where I need your help. Right now, the event is listed as "Metal then Beer." I don't like it, and need a better name. That is where you come in.

What do you think would be a good name for the event?

I am leaning towards "Metal making with Alcohol." I know there was a concern to clear demonstrate the alcohol will be after the welding. Let me state it clearly. The alcohol will be after the metal working.

The winner will received a 6-pack from me at the first meeting.

The event will take place on:
Friday November 10th
at Arch Reactor at 7pm.
I am planning on having this be a regular event the second Friday of the month.

Frank Kallal

Nov 2, 2017, 10:03:14 AM11/2/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
My 18 old boy would like to attend (he working towards being in the welding trade) is that ok?    😀 No beer for him though

EschewObfuscation

Nov 2, 2017, 11:20:48 AM11/2/17
to Arch Reactor
metallbrauenfest

Who needs multiple words when we have available a language that glues together any number of them?

mmir...@hazelwoodschools.org

Nov 2, 2017, 11:27:24 AM11/2/17
to Arch Reactor
@Frank of course he is welcome. My son is planning on being there too.

Amberly Brown

Nov 2, 2017, 12:16:04 PM11/2/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Metal and Malt
Makin' with Metal and Malt
Solder and Suds
Welding and Wine (yeah, I know, beer, still)
Alloy 'n Beers
Metal 'n Beer
Hammering 'n Booze
 ;)

I can do this all day...

Amberly

hmm...might be able to make one or two of these...good for bonus armor repair nights (not the first one though...gotta get to my hunting grounds early Sat AM)

On Thu, Nov 2, 2017 at 10:20 AM, EschewObfuscation <google...@mailfilter.33mail.com> wrote:
metallbrauenfest

Who needs multiple words when we have available a language that glues together any number of them?

Message has been deleted

Morganism

Nov 2, 2017, 1:21:13 PM11/2/17
to Arch Reactor
I like Metal with Malt (beverages?)
Metal Beer (Play of Metal Gear franchise)
Hammerin' with Booze is good too
Going to have one every month until we gauge interest

On Thursday, November 2, 2017 at 8:51:40 AM UTC-5, Morganism wrote: > As discussed at the last Business Meeting, I am starting a regular metal working event based on this even from the Staton Island Makerspace: > > > https://www.eventbrite.com/e/women-welding-and-wine-november-tickets-38089736427 > > > > There are going to be some differences. > > > First, it is going to be open to everyone, not just women. (Women are always welcome) > Secondly, it is not going to be a class to start. It is going to be more Hack Something with metal. > Third, It is not going to be a wine tasting at the end. I will provide some beer, but whatever beverages people want to bring to enjoy after the metal working are welcome. > > > Here is where I need your help. Right now, the event is listed as "Metal then Beer." I don't like it, and need a better name. That is where you come in. > > > What do you think would be a good name for the event? > > > I am leaning towards "Metal making with Alcohol." I know there was a concern to clear demonstrate the alcohol will be after the welding. Let me state it clearly. The alcohol will be after the metal working. > > > The winner will received a 6-pack from me at the first meeting. > > > The event will take place on: > Friday November 10th > at Arch Reactor at 7pm. > I am planning on having this be a regular event the second Friday of the month.

Myles Farrell

Tom Blevins

Nov 3, 2017, 8:36:28 PM11/3/17
to Arch Reactor
Why not skip the "and" and go with Malted Metal?

On Thursday, November 2, 2017 at 12:21:53 PM UTC-5, Myles Farrell wrote:
I second Metal and Malt. It flows well and leaves it open to making malt milkshakes if there are people under 21. I seem to remember a milkshake blender under the bar.
On Thu, Nov 2, 2017 at 12:19 PM, <mmir...@hazelwoodschools.org> wrote:
I like Metal with Malt (beverages?)
Metal Beer (Play of Metal Gear franchise)
Hammerin' with Booze is good too

Going to have one every month until we gauge interest

On Thursday, November 2, 2017 at 8:51:40 AM UTC-5, Morganism wrote:
> As discussed at the last Business Meeting, I am starting a regular metal working event based on this even from the Staton Island Makerspace:
>

> https://www.eventbrite.com/e/women-welding-and-wine-november-tickets-38089736427
>

> There are going to be some differences.
>

> First, it is going to be open to everyone, not just women. (Women are always welcome)
> Secondly, it is not going to be a class to start. It is going to be more Hack Something with metal.
> Third, It is not going to be a wine tasting at the end. I will provide some beer, but whatever beverages people want to bring to enjoy after the metal working are welcome.
>

> Here is where I need your help. Right now, the event is listed as "Metal then Beer." I don't like it, and need a better name. That is where you come in.
>

> What do you think would be a good name for the event?
>

> I am leaning towards "Metal making with Alcohol." I know there was a concern to clear demonstrate the alcohol will be after the welding. Let me state it clearly. The alcohol will be after the metal working.
>

> The winner will received a 6-pack from me at the first meeting.
>

> The event will take place on:
> Friday November 10th
> at Arch Reactor at 7pm.
> I am planning on having this be a regular event the second Friday of the month.

Jim S

Nov 4, 2017, 6:24:30 PM11/4/17
to Arch Reactor
Not that the name isn't important, but....  What sort of metal working things are planned?  Welding? machining?  I think the activities on the calendar could use more detail.  When you click for more detail you just get the same brief title.

Jim S

Nov 4, 2017, 9:01:49 PM11/4/17
to Arch Reactor
Just to clarify - my comments about the minimal details were for activities in general, not just this one.

Morganism

Nov 4, 2017, 10:44:09 PM11/4/17
to Arch Reactor
Short version is this is to get people practiced and comfortable using the metal working equipment. Like hack something with metal. Can be any project you want to work on.

Frank Kallal

Nov 5, 2017, 10:35:29 AM11/5/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
@Jim,

the Lack of information on the Calendar has been an Ongoing and Annoying issue :)  that has been brought up before.   It doesn't seen to change.

Travis Megee

Nov 5, 2017, 10:40:41 AM11/5/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Because it's easier than contributing to the solution.

On Sat, Nov 4, 2017 at 9:44 PM, Morganism <morgan....@gmail.com> wrote:
Short version is this is to get people practiced and comfortable using the metal working equipment. Like hack something with metal. Can be any project you want to work on.

On Thursday, November 2, 2017 at 8:51:40 AM UTC-5, Morganism wrote:
> As discussed at the last Business Meeting, I am starting a regular metal working event based on this even from the Staton Island Makerspace:
>

> https://www.eventbrite.com/e/women-welding-and-wine-november-tickets-38089736427
>

> There are going to be some differences.
>

> First, it is going to be open to everyone, not just women. (Women are always welcome)
> Secondly, it is not going to be a class to start. It is going to be more Hack Something with metal.
> Third, It is not going to be a wine tasting at the end. I will provide some beer, but whatever beverages people want to bring to enjoy after the metal working are welcome.
>

> Here is where I need your help. Right now, the event is listed as "Metal then Beer." I don't like it, and need a better name. That is where you come in.
>

> What do you think would be a good name for the event?
>

> I am leaning towards "Metal making with Alcohol." I know there was a concern to clear demonstrate the alcohol will be after the welding. Let me state it clearly. The alcohol will be after the metal working.
>

> The winner will received a 6-pack from me at the first meeting.
>

> The event will take place on:
> Friday November 10th
> at Arch Reactor at 7pm.
> I am planning on having this be a regular event the second Friday of the month.

Jim S

Nov 5, 2017, 11:18:52 AM11/5/17
to Arch Reactor
Guess this is a sore subject...  In any case, I for one, have no idea how to contribute to the solution.  So, yes, pointing it out is the only thing I, at this point, know to do.  It was intended to be constructive...

The active "insiders" in AR probably know what the various activities are.  If AR seriously wants to attract outsiders the descriptions need to be more descriptive.  That's just my opinion of course.  A lot of the AR activities are more "show up and do what you want" type activities.  I have no problem with that but am much more likely to come when it is a bit more defined.  Just my personal bias.

Frank Kallal

Nov 5, 2017, 11:23:56 AM11/5/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
@Travis...

While Generally True, I'm of the Opinion that it's Not too much to expect the Person that Hosts the event to spend the 5 minutes necessary to Describe their own event.

I mean yes I can Go in and Add Descriptions to all the events and waste and Hour of my time :)  However I generally haven't attended or Plan to attend most of the events In Question, and thus My description will be a Poor Representation as Compared to something the Person running the event can do.

I contribute to the solution by making sure any event I am Responsible for has at least a Decent description.

@Jim..
It is to some extent,  as the answer is always " If you see it's wrong well go fix it" .. which in this case isn't Ideal, as I've explained above.

Frank

On Sun, Nov 5, 2017 at 9:40 AM, Travis Megee <twm...@gmail.com> wrote:
Because it's easier than contributing to the solution.

On Sun, Nov 5, 2017, 09:35 Frank Kallal <fr...@kallal.net> wrote:
@Jim,

the Lack of information on the Calendar has been an Ongoing and Annoying issue :)  that has been brought up before.   It doesn't seen to change.
On Sat, Nov 4, 2017 at 9:44 PM, Morganism <morgan....@gmail.com> wrote:
Short version is this is to get people practiced and comfortable using the metal working equipment. Like hack something with metal. Can be any project you want to work on.

On Thursday, November 2, 2017 at 8:51:40 AM UTC-5, Morganism wrote:
> As discussed at the last Business Meeting, I am starting a regular metal working event based on this even from the Staton Island Makerspace:
>

> https://www.eventbrite.com/e/women-welding-and-wine-november-tickets-38089736427
>

> There are going to be some differences.
>

> First, it is going to be open to everyone, not just women. (Women are always welcome)
> Secondly, it is not going to be a class to start. It is going to be more Hack Something with metal.
> Third, It is not going to be a wine tasting at the end. I will provide some beer, but whatever beverages people want to bring to enjoy after the metal working are welcome.
>

> Here is where I need your help. Right now, the event is listed as "Metal then Beer." I don't like it, and need a better name. That is where you come in.
>

> What do you think would be a good name for the event?
>

> I am leaning towards "Metal making with Alcohol." I know there was a concern to clear demonstrate the alcohol will be after the welding. Let me state it clearly. The alcohol will be after the metal working.
>

> The winner will received a 6-pack from me at the first meeting.
>

> The event will take place on:
> Friday November 10th
> at Arch Reactor at 7pm.
> I am planning on having this be a regular event the second Friday of the month.

Morgan Miransky

Nov 5, 2017, 4:19:56 PM11/5/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I will go in and update it. @Jim we are going with some basic how to's so people can learn how to use the equipment. It is more of a start small and simple than a lack of ambition to teach.

It is also because I didn't create the event at the last business meeting. I know it got on the calendar, but didn't come back to it.