[Murmuration Festival] - The call For Volenteers

Frank Kallal

Sep 1, 2016, 4:23:57 PM9/1/16
to Arch Reactor

Hey all,

For those that Don’t recall ;)  I’m heading up rounding up folks to work this event.  We need to have 5ish people “working” at all times of the event, split between the Rube Goldberg Machine and the Show booth.   Ideally I would like at least one or two more to allow for breaks (Cooldown / Bathroom / etc)

We are in a Non-Badged area so there isn’t a limit to number of Folks there working  So really the More the Merrier.  Lots of AR Shirted folks can really only make us look better, especially as they wonder around the event in their off time ;)

Event Hours we are responsible for are:

Saturday: 10am - 7pm

Sunday: 10am - 5pm

I’m looking at Slotting in two Hour “Shifts” so that folks that can wonder out and enjoy the Event as well.  We do have a Number of Badges that are available for AR use to get into Badged events (Music and Lectures) and Folks that Volunteer time will have priority access to those badges.  So if there is a Specific Event you are looking at attending Please let me know as well.

*****

Look Folks :

It’s time to “be real” At our last event (Bright Ideas) we had the Bare Minimum to staff the event.  We Ate Lunch at the tables while talking to people, I can think of few things less professional, but it’s what had to happen so we could at least eatLunch in our full day event.

I know we all have busy lives, and we all don’t know everything about everything that AR does.  But almost anyone can spare two to four Hours over a two day period with enough notice.  And everyone can Learn and parrot Information to general public, or just talk about what you like about AR.  Not everyone needs to be a Printer Expert, Hell I can barely turn one on.

Please don’t depend on someone else to cover it.  Make the time, Come out and make sure those of us who are there don’t burn out.

*****

I know we have core group of folks that are “always there” and I hope they are planning on it again, but this is a big event and we really need as many folks as possible to Come out and help out.   This event is very local and will be very big, so we need to put on as good a show as we can, and that takes people.

Please respond here Or Let me know directly when “You” are available to Help out and I’ll start piecing Something together that resembles a schedule.

Frank

Handy Links :

Event Website : http://murmurationfest.com/
Music Line Up : http://murmurationfest.com/event-category/music/
Panel Line Up : http://murmurationfest.com/event-category/thought/

Free stuff is listed Midway down the main website

Chris Weiss

Sep 1, 2016, 5:18:03 PM9/1/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I plan to be there both days, mostly working with the rube goldberg.

Morganism

Sep 1, 2016, 5:30:54 PM9/1/16
to Arch Reactor
I am planning on being there both days, hopefully. At least for Saturday for sure. I can move between the table and the machine. If anybody wants to come but does know the wrap, I will be happy to go over it. I should be around quite a bit between now and then. Specifically, this Tuesday and every Thursday until the event. It is easy to get the hang of, and no selling involved.

Tony Strawhun

Sep 3, 2016, 1:19:08 PM9/3/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

I plan to be there both days as well floating between the AR both and Rube Goldberg

On Sep 1, 2016 16:18, "Chris Weiss" <cwe...@gmail.com> wrote:
I plan to be there both days, mostly working with the rube goldberg.

Xsfx2000

Sep 3, 2016, 11:56:04 PM9/3/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I believe I can be there- both days.
-Lloyd

Frank Kallal

Sep 7, 2016, 1:15:34 AM9/7/16
to Arch Reactor
I told several I would Poke this to Bounce it back tot he Top so they could Find it...

As I said at the meeting.  Even a Couple hours on either day would be a great help.

I'll Be responding to everyone that has emailed Tomorrow.

Frank

David Griggs

Sep 13, 2016, 6:04:36 PM9/13/16
to Arch Reactor
Hey Frank, I'll be there both days, would be happy to contribute a few hours or more each day. Looking to check out some of the discussions and definitely want to see Tycho and Flying Lotus!

jimski...@gmail.com

Sep 20, 2016, 11:38:33 AM9/20/16
to Arch Reactor
I can put in a few hours either Sat or Sun. Preference is around 2 PM either day but I could do other times when the schedule is short of people. Was eyeing last of the day talks both days so sometime close to that would be great.

jimski...@gmail.com

Sep 20, 2016, 2:02:56 PM9/20/16
to Arch Reactor, jimski...@gmail.com
Anyone know if the talks will be recorded and available online after the event?

aha...@gmail.com

Sep 20, 2016, 8:08:59 PM9/20/16
to Arch Reactor
Frank,

Do you still need help on Saturday for the Murmuration Festival.

Fred

Xsfx2000

Sep 20, 2016, 8:48:01 PM9/20/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Again, I am available both days.
Is there to be any pooling from the space to the Event?

Morganism

Sep 20, 2016, 11:08:35 PM9/20/16
to Arch Reactor
Since Frank hasn't answered, I would say 2-3 more people easily help out. If you can't get there until 2pm, that will give a break to those of us who are going to be there since 10am. Anyone and everyone is welcome to help out.

Chris Weiss

Sep 20, 2016, 11:31:48 PM9/20/16
to Arch Reactor
we'll also need some help friday evening for load in.  we have to done by 7pm, not sure what time we'll start yet.

Frank Kallal

Sep 21, 2016, 2:03:50 PM9/21/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Sorry Guys :)  Tuesday for me is Cubscout day, and it's been a busy week :)

@Fred,

You are more than welcome to Come out :)  Extra Folks just means we can Let People Take Breaks, and Or Explore the Festival on Breaks.  Are you planning on being there all day (Both days) Or do you have a Restricted Schedule?

@Lloyd,

I'm sure we can Work something out.

@Chris :

I'll be there but i have to leave by 6:30 at the latest.

Morganism

Sep 22, 2016, 11:37:20 PM9/22/16
to Arch Reactor
I plan on spending most of my time at the demonstration table. I can run the 3d printer and bring the microscope to show people. I will be packing up at the Space and can bring at least 1 or 2 other people in my car. Anybody else interested in demonstrating? If so what? I think it would be good if we could bring the learn to solder stuff too.

Diane

Sep 23, 2016, 12:03:49 AM9/23/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I'm bringing my small loom.   While I will spend some time at Rube Goldberg I'm not physically able to be there tons.  Am trying to get stronger to do more but still have a looong way to go.

Diane  <*>

Amberly Brown

Sep 23, 2016, 9:10:18 AM9/23/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Just had a crazy thought...I don't have an AR shirt. How do I get one? Are there badges or something for those of us who lack the appropriate indicators that we are with AR?

Thanks,

Amberly

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/arch-reactor/8d6f9bd2-5461-42dd-95cc-6736efebf58e%40googlegroups.com.

Jim S

Sep 23, 2016, 9:21:07 AM9/23/16
to Arch Reactor
Are you still looking for stuff to demo?  what sort of stuff?  How big?  I briefly considered demo of my desktop mill but I figured there would be plenty of other stuff and it would be some work to get it together and lug in although I can put it on a cart without too much trouble, maybe a couple trips with a cart.  I would also need to figure out something interesting to cut out. I have a few things to do with aluminum so maybe just do that but they are pretty basic fixture plates.  It needs about 3 ft of table space so with a PC you are looking at about 5 feet.  Also have an embossing press - couldn't bring in the whole thing but could bring some small dies and samples of embossing (in aluminum sheet).

Jim S

Sep 23, 2016, 9:47:52 AM9/23/16
to Arch Reactor
I also don't have an AR shirt...

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/arch-reactor/8d6f9bd2-5461-42dd-95cc-6736efebf58e%40googlegroups.com.

Morganism

Sep 23, 2016, 10:01:09 AM9/23/16
to Arch Reactor
I have 2 extra shirts I can bring. One large, one XL. Worn but clean, if anyone wants one. We do not have a specific t-shirt program at this time. Diane gets shirts embroidered with AR logo for $10 each. Talk to her if you want one. You provide the shirt, usually black.

Chris Weiss

Sep 23, 2016, 10:16:26 AM9/23/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I believe there's a template for a lanyard badge on the laser computer if you have time to cut one.

Diane Sudduth

Sep 23, 2016, 11:38:25 AM9/23/16
to Arch Reactor
Amberly,

There isn't time to get an embroidered AR shirt before the festival but I'd be happy to help you get one for the next event.    All I need is the shirt you want embroidered with our logo and a $10 embroidery fee per shirt.   There is no minimum to get shirts embroidered and it typically takes about a week or so.   We typically embroider in orange thread on a dark/black shirt but can embroider in black thread on a lighter/orange shirt if that's your preference.    We selected this company so that every person can find a shirt that they prefer that they know will fit them well.    Please pre-wash shirts prior to embroidery.  (I skipped this step once and my polo shrank horribly while the embroidery didn't.  It was pretty much ruined)

There had been a few t-shirts made by a couple of members but I don't remember who had them or if any remain.

I do have a few (like maybe 3 or 4) small buttons with the AR logo and will try to remember to bring them along.

Diane  <*>

On Friday, September 23, 2016 at 8:10:18 AM UTC-5, Amberly Brown wrote:

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/arch-reactor/8d6f9bd2-5461-42dd-95cc-6736efebf58e%40googlegroups.com.

Diane Sudduth

Sep 23, 2016, 11:43:26 AM9/23/16
to Arch Reactor
Hi Jim,

We're always interested in having members bring demo items, the more diverse the better!    I'm not sure this is a good venue for your mill, however.   We'll have two or three 6-foot tables in our booth and will have electricity but no guarantee of overnight security.    A few small samples of things that you have milled would be nice to see if you'd like to bring them along.    The embossing dies and samples also seem really awesome!

(Personally, I'm bringing my small weaving loom and knitting)

Diane  <*>

P.S.   Please see the response to Amberly regarding embroidered shirts.   Can't get you one for this weekend but would be happy to get you an embroidered shirt.   I just need your shirt(s) of choice and $10 (each) for the embroidery.

Jim S

Sep 23, 2016, 12:46:33 PM9/23/16
to Arch Reactor
Diane,

Thanks.  Just thinking about the mill and safety - even though it's a small unit, flying chips and spinning cutters aren't such a good idea, especially with no guards and the public.  But I will try to bring a few things.  I don't have much as I am just getting it going.

Jim

Derek Sigler

Sep 23, 2016, 1:01:16 PM9/23/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Frank,
I'll be there 10 to 2 Sunday.  Already registered.
-derek

Frank Kallal

Sep 23, 2016, 1:09:57 PM9/23/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Outstanding..

Chris Weiss

Sep 23, 2016, 1:48:25 PM9/23/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
i've demo'd the shapeoko with a whiteboard marker in the tool holder and a piece of material the markers work well with on the bed.  it gets across the capability and versatility of the machine with no mess.

Robert Kleeschulte

Sep 23, 2016, 2:31:28 PM9/23/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Hope things go well Saturday and Sunday!!

I was planning to go, but could not commit and now after the doctor did epidural steroid injections I am feeling more discomfort sitting or standing from my lower back.

On Fri, Sep 23, 2016 at 12:48 PM, Chris Weiss <cwe...@gmail.com> wrote:
i've demo'd the shapeoko with a whiteboard marker in the tool holder and a piece of material the markers work well with on the bed.  it gets across the capability and versatility of the machine with no mess.

Colleen Forrest

Sep 23, 2016, 4:18:48 PM9/23/16
to Arch Reactor
I can do 2-4 on Saturday and I can belp with setup tonight.
What time is setup and where are we meeting?

Diane

Sep 23, 2016, 5:22:13 PM9/23/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
We should load at AR about 5, heading to Cortex after loading   Not sure exact time we'll arrive there, hopefully around 6.  Hopefully setup will go quickly tonight.

Things there are likely to be confusing.

Diane  <*>

Colleen Forrest

Sep 23, 2016, 5:44:13 PM9/23/16
to Arch Reactor
I can meet you at the Cortex around 6:30ish. Will try to find you.

Diane

Sep 23, 2016, 5:49:30 PM9/23/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Apologies to everyone helping load tonight.  Traffic has been Horrible!!!   Best-guess eta at AR with the truck is between 5:30 and 5:45

Diane  <*>

Chris Weiss

Sep 23, 2016, 7:40:42 PM9/23/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

We are unloaded and out

Frank Kallal

Sep 24, 2016, 8:10:28 AM9/24/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Thanks For the Hard Word Folks.. :)

Remember to Dress for the weather Today.

I'll Bring my Fan, It's Relatively Quiet and Moves a decent amount of Air.   Diane Should I grab a Flat of Water bottles To Bring with me for the Coolers?

Frank Kallal

Sep 24, 2016, 8:10:59 AM9/24/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
heh that should say Work :)  Too early in the morning for me.

Diane

Sep 24, 2016, 8:41:33 AM9/24/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I already have two flats of Gatorade, one flat of water bottles, and a 3-gallon cooler of ice water.   You might bring a "washable, non-breakable" cup so we use fewer disposable cups...

Don't forget sunscreen, folks!!!

Diane  <*>

Frank Kallal

Sep 24, 2016, 10:13:48 AM9/24/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I'm heading out now.  I'll head straight to the Site.

Jim S

Sep 24, 2016, 3:16:32 PM9/24/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

Heading over now.  Eta 3 pm.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Arch Reactor" group.

Amberly Brown

Sep 25, 2016, 4:01:46 PM9/25/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Life blew up and I am not going to make it out after all. Sorry, and hope it went well!

Amberly

Frank Kallal

Sep 25, 2016, 9:18:55 PM9/25/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Mixing Explosives and Life is a Dangerous thing :)  We made it Through.   Thank you for Trying.

Frank

Amberly Brown

Sep 26, 2016, 9:34:43 AM9/26/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
You know...I set my face on fire back in November due to a fuel-air mixture...so I can honestly say that yes, mixing such things is dangerous. Glad you all survived, looking forward to hearing more about how it went.

Amberly