July 2600 Meeting - Pirate Box Build Night!

Kamikaze Joe

Jun 11, 2014, 1:44:34 AM6/11/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
We are getting an early start on planning this 2600 meeting because we have something a bit different planned.  Next month we are going to have a Pirate Box Build Night!

What's a pirate box?  Well a pirate box is a kind of wireless dead-drop that allows everyone to anonymously exchange files, messages, and other media.

It works by creating a small file server accessible locally by wifi.  The server itself otherwise remains offline.  It's great fun to find one of these boxes hidden somewhere and finding what digital treasures await you.

The device itself is pretty simple.  It's a small little wifi router with some USB storage and custom firmware.

To learn more about the Pirate Box, you can read up on the projects website. -- http://piratebox.cc/

Now Pirate Boxes are the most fun when there are a lot of them out there for everyone to use.  So to get as many boxes out there as possible, we don't just want to show you how to find or use a pirate box.  We want everyone to build one!

So here's the plan:  We are going to try and place a bulk order ahead of time for everyone interested in building their own Pirate Box.

The team that developed the Pirate Box software recommends a TP-LINK TL-MR3040 so that's what we are going to use.  It's small, is battery or USB powered, and has as USB port to connect storage too.

If you look at the Pirate Box site you'll see that you don't have to use this specific router.  They have versions for Raspberry Pi, Android, and anything that will run OpenWRT.  If you'd prefer to use one of those, go for it!  We'd love to see it and learn how you did it!

In addition to the router (or other device) you'll need some USB storage.  If you have a spare USB stick that you can use, then great.  Otherwise, we have a basic 16 GB drive you can order along with the TL-MR3040.

Our ultimate goal with this project is to get everyone to spread these around the area, running autonomously, creating a whole offline network of these devices.  Make note of where you've setup your Pirate Box (preferably GPS coordinates) and we'll create a map of all their locations.

We've also found a solar panel that should be powerful enough to power the router and keep the battery charged.  With that, you should be able to setup your pirate box just about anywhere.

The cost of to build isn't all that expensive.  The router is $35.  About $8 for a 16 GB USB drive.  And if you decide to opt in for the solar panel, that's $30.

To put together the bulk order, we've setup the Google spreadsheet linked below:

Just fill in your name and an X under which pieces you are ordering.  If you want to just  order the parts yourself, the spreadsheet also has links to each item on Amazon.

To make sure we get the order shipped in time for the 2600 meeting, you'll need to get the money for your order to me by June 29th, so I can place the order on the 30th.  You can PayPal me or arrange some way to get me cash.

If you plan on building a pirate box at the next 2600 meeting, ideally you'll be able to bring a laptop with an ethernet port.  If not, no worries.  We've got a couple of machines we'll be able to use if you don't.

If you do bring a laptop, it runs Windows, and by some chance you have no idea what SSH is, then download this so we'll be able to help you configure your pirate box:

---

Preserve your right to privacy.  When replying to this email, I encourage you to make use of PGP compliant encryption.  My key ID is A50DB9BC.

dennis

Jun 12, 2014, 1:08:41 AM6/12/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Sounds fun,

Maybe add some TP-Link TL-MR3020 's to create wifi pineapple boxes

Kamikaze Joe

Jun 12, 2014, 1:34:41 AM6/12/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
The TL-MR3040 is the same router as the TL-MR3020, except it has the built in rechargeable battery, and it's the same price.  Otherwise the chipset is the same and should run the DIY jaseger/pinapple stuff the same.  Most of what we go over will probably translate over to setting up a DIY wifi pineapple if you were so inclined.

Though if you are interested in a Wifi Pineapple, I highly recommend getting the Mark V that they put out last year.  It's sooo pretty, though a bit pricier at $100.  It's worth the money though if you are going to get a lot of use out of it.  Two wifi radios, USB host, ethernet, MicroSD for storage and flashing.  Runs on just about anything from 5v to 12v so it's easy to get it battery powered.  TTL serial incase you brick it.  And my favorite: DIP switches that'll run different scripts at boot for you.  At some point Bob and I would like to have a Wifi Pinapple night for the 2600 meeting, but nothing has been planned yet.

---

Preserve your right to privacy.  When replying to this email, I encourage you to make use of PGP compliant encryption.  My key ID is A50DB9BC.

Ben West

Jun 12, 2014, 1:55:22 AM6/12/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
A caveat about the MR3020 and MR3040, at least with the former which I'd experimented on as low-cost WasabiNet node, is that its TX power is limited to 15dB / 31mW.  Oddly enough, I found that WR703N, which is physically smaller than the MR3020, can broadcast at 18dB / 63mW.  Both of these devices won't cover much outside their immediate vicinity (which is known, they're sold as 'travel routers').

If you're looking for more TX ooomph, you may be to compile Pirate Box firmwares for the MR3420.  That one has the same chipset, USB port, along with LAN ports, 2 external antennas, and 125mW TX power.

Ben West

Kamikaze Joe

Jun 12, 2014, 2:25:07 AM6/12/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Ben's Wi-Fi-Fu is strong...  Thanks for the input.

The WR703N is another of the suggested routers by the Pirate Box site.  Personally, I like the idea of a smaller local area for the box.  I like the idea of tracking down the exact spot needed to get connected.  Kind of like a secret digital speak-easy.  Though it'll be fun to see which direction they go with their own boxes.  The more different they are, the more fun it will be to go and track down each one out in the world.

Most creative and unique location will definitely get kudos.

---

Preserve your right to privacy.  When replying to this email, I encourage you to make use of PGP compliant encryption.  My key ID is A50DB9BC.

John Reskusich

Jun 12, 2014, 11:00:01 AM6/12/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
This sounds like so much fun. I want to have fun. Did you notice
that it is on the 4th of July?

John
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/arch-reactor/CANRfcRom017T3Sr%3DMvoT4YnxRhy3%2BHn1%2BMknUkKBTNr8cckoXg%40mail.gmail.com.

Kamikaze Joe

Jun 12, 2014, 11:49:35 AM6/12/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

We did.  And what better way to celebrate the freedom of our country than by encouraging and facilitating the free exchange of information!

Don Ellis

Jun 12, 2014, 12:49:42 PM6/12/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I added a "total" column to the sheet, so you will see the total amount. When a new buyer is added, just copy the formula from the last column down. Or, we could just paste the formula into all rows, so it shows zero until a 1 (or other number) is entered in each column.

--Don

On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 12:08 AM, dennis <denn...@gmail.com> wrote:

Don Ellis

Jun 12, 2014, 12:56:50 PM6/12/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
This sounds like a variation on geo-caching, except you don't have to find the physical object, just a connection point. Place a clue in each box pointing to the next one, so they have to be found in proper sequential order. Perhaps include a decryption key to recover the next clue. How about this variation: the "next" location you recover depends on the key you present (indicative of previous location), so the sequence differs depending on your starting point.

I'm trying to think of a location for permanent placement. Probably a business with publicly accessible thoroughfare nearby, and with some degree of personal connection/relationship, such as a UG associate or personal friend.

On Wednesday, June 11, 2014 12:44:34 AM UTC-5, kamikazejoe wrote:
We are getting an early start on planning this 2600 meeting because we have something a bit different planned.  Next month we are going to have a Pirate Box Build Night!

What's a pirate box?  Well a pirate box is a kind of wireless dead-drop that allows everyone to anonymously exchange files, messages, and other media.

It works by creating a small file server accessible locally by wifi.  The server itself otherwise remains offline.  It's great fun to find one of these boxes hidden somewhere and finding what digital treasures await you.

The device itself is pretty simple.  It's a small little wifi router with some USB storage and custom firmware.

To learn more about the Pirate Box, you can read up on the projects website. -- http://piratebox.cc/

Ben West

Jun 12, 2014, 1:08:30 PM6/12/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Also, sorry for not chiming in here earlier.  I'm open to having any pirate box that resides at the space participate in the 2.4GHz WasabiNet mesh (visible as 'Wasabi2GMesh' encrypted adhoc SSID).  I.e. this could allow wireless access to that box from services besides just its local WLAN.  In theory, a version of Pirate Box based on a reasonably recent version of OpenWRT Attitude Adjustment should support this.

The hairy detail is that the the 'Wasabi2GMesh' network presently is secured via shared AES key, due to  limitations on how OpenWRT supports encrypted adhoc wifi.  I.e. no WPA2 Enterprise.  So, I'd need to ask that whomever maintains root access to the pirate box be mindful about having this key stored on it.

Ben West

Kamikaze Joe

Jun 24, 2014, 6:58:25 PM6/24/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

Just bumping the thread to remind everyone that this is next week.  If you want to get in on the bulk order, then put your name down on the spreadsheet and make arrangements to pay me by the 29th! Thanks!

Kamikaze Joe

Jun 29, 2014, 10:30:14 PM6/29/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
LAST CALL!  Last chance to get in on the order.  I'll give it a couple of hours.  Send me a message to make sure I haven't already placed the order if you want one.

---

Preserve your right to privacy.  When replying to this email, I encourage you to make use of PGP compliant encryption.  My key ID is A50DB9BC.

Christopher Barber

Jul 1, 2014, 10:55:14 PM7/1/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

If you need to get a TP Link they have them at micro center for $20 bucks!
http://www.microcenter.com/product/383918/TL-WR702N_Wireless_N_Nano_Router

Tony Mueller

Jul 4, 2014, 12:30:09 PM7/4/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
That router is not supported, but thanks for the notice. I needed a cheap repeater to boost signal to my garage. Works fine so far.

Ben West

Jul 4, 2014, 1:28:52 PM7/4/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Watch out about the WR702N.  It actually only has 2MBytes (as in 2 * 1024 * 1024 bytes!) of onboard flash, rendering it useless for any derivative of OpenWRT.  You're looking for the WR703N or the MR3020, which have 4MBytes of flash.  The catch is that the WR703N is officially not FCC approved, so most examples are source off Ebay.

I'm wistful about being unable to come today (holidaze, etc).  I actually have a MR3020 and a couple WR703N on hand I could bring.