3D printer under extrusion

Derek Sigler

Jul 31, 2017, 11:29:06 AM7/31/17
to Arch Reactor
Attached is picture of what I think is my printer under extruding.  It's been printing like this for about 3 weeks and the change happened suddenly, not over time.  It also does this on all my spools of filament over a wide range of temps.  I thought it might be a clog, so I replaced the J-head, same exact results.  Any ideas?

Does anyone have a good venue for asking these kinds of questions outside of AR?

Thanks,
-derek

3Dunderextrusion.jpg

eAddict

Jul 31, 2017, 11:31:35 AM7/31/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Odds are there is a group on FB for the printer model.    For example: https://www.facebook.com/groups/TEVO.3dprinter.owners/

Derek Sigler

Jul 31, 2017, 11:42:51 AM7/31/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
My next guess is the extruder stepper motor.  I cleaned out the toothed filament pusher gear.

Ray Scheufler

Jul 31, 2017, 11:47:00 AM7/31/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Maker space mailing lists are usually a good place to get advice on printers.  I'm a lurker from the Des Moines space.  I'll throw out some ideas of what to check and hopefully it will give you some clues or something obvious.

My first guess looking at the part is heat issues.  Something has happened to your hot end thermistor and it is no longer properly measuring temperature.  You aren't extruding at the temperature you expect.  If you are familiar with your printer and how much resistance when you manually feed filament then you should be able to heat up and feel if there is extra resistance which could point to temperature regulation issues.  You could also verify by taping a thermocouple to the hot end and seeing if it registers the same temp.

If you are sure that heat isn't the issue, look at the extruder to see if the knurled bolt / drive wheel is full of junk.  Also, depending on how the extruder is assembled, you could have lost tension on the drive gear or it could be otherwise binding there.  Other possibilities in the filament feed path are the filament being knotted on the spool or the spool unable to rotate smoothly.  Both would add extra work to the extruder stepper.

You could also have the extruder stepper driver shutting down due to thermal regulation.  Did you lose a heat sink on a driver?  Do you have digipots or physical potentiometers on the drivers?  They could have been bumped and you are no longer driving with the same amount of power.

Just some assorted suggestions from a stranger.
Ray Scheufler

On Mon, Jul 31, 2017 at 10:28 AM, 'Derek Sigler' via Arch Reactor <arch-r...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Andrew Ricke

Jul 31, 2017, 11:48:37 AM7/31/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Humidity change?  How well do you keep the filament sealed?

On Mon, Jul 31, 2017, 10:42 AM 'Derek Sigler' via Arch Reactor <arch-r...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
My next guess is the extruder stepper motor.  I cleaned out the toothed filament pusher gear.

Robert Kleeschulte

Jul 31, 2017, 11:53:32 AM7/31/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
There is a 3D printing FaceBook group that I am in and will send you a link. They might be able to give some advice also.

On Mon, Jul 31, 2017 at 10:48 AM, Andrew Ricke <andrew...@gmail.com> wrote:
Humidity change?  How well do you keep the filament sealed?
On Mon, Jul 31, 2017, 10:42 AM 'Derek Sigler' via Arch Reactor <arch-r...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
My next guess is the extruder stepper motor.  I cleaned out the toothed filament pusher gear.

redin...@gmail.com

Jul 31, 2017, 4:22:34 PM7/31/17
to Arch Reactor, derek...@yahoo.com

eAddict